Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please Rack Your Brains - Autism & Siblings.

(7 Posts)
JAKEJEM Thu 30-Jun-05 20:02:38

Hi guys!!! I need your help, we have a DS recently diagnosed with autism and due to him starting lots of therapy (SALT, OT, etc etc) we need to get our 1 year old DD(nt) into a creche. This is because of me taking DS to all his sessions and because she needs some time away from her brother for a more "normal" life. We are struggling because all the creches in the local area have a 10 month waiting list but I am sure I have read somewhere that special needs siblings can be bumped up the list under a certain law? Have I dreamt this, we are desperate for our little one to have some normality in her life. Thanks for your help.

anniebear Thu 30-Jun-05 22:07:33

I have not heard of it myself, but maybe somewhere would take her if you explained the circumstances.

Have you thought of a Registered childminder? I used to be one ages ago and had 3 children and did loads with them. Took them to play area's, mums and tots, park, other friends houses etc Might be nice as she would have a bit more one to one and attention

Davros Fri 01-Jul-05 08:56:48

I've never heard of it. Would try the NAS helpline or maybe ask your LEA or Soc Svs

TheRealMrsF Fri 01-Jul-05 10:15:09

i wonder if 'simply' approaching all the ones you are interested in WITH a SUPPORTING letter stating how this is needed ...may help???

Also...if your health visitor is approachable...maybe she can help....before the 'age 3 nursery funding' was available in our area , my HV got it for us as it was deemed necassary. So just thinking that she may be able to at least write a letter on your behalf...or even better phone them direct???

ABB Sun 03-Jul-05 20:55:30

It may be worth checking if there is a respite service in the area which may be able to provide a siter for your DD - we have a charitable service which we can use once a month but I know others who have a fixed number of hours a month of the service they can use.

bambi06 Sun 03-Jul-05 20:56:42

ask yoour local autistic trust , mine are very helpful with info

bambi06 Sun 03-Jul-05 21:04:37

registered childminders can help out on short term notice if they have available spaces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now