Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Had 2nd parent school meeting and first Afasic phonecall

(10 Posts)
Blossomhill Thu 30-Jun-05 16:11:46

Just a coincidence that they were on the same day.

Had a lovely lady whose dd had speech and language difficulties and felt very alone, didn't know what to do. She is phoning me tomorrow but I advised her to see a dev. paed for a full assessment. She kept saying thank you and how nice it was to talk to someone who understands. I was a bit choked as I know how she must be feeling. When dd was 4 it was a very lonely place
We are going to speak tomorrow as her child was having a tantrum but you could hear the desperation in her voice. Just so relieved that she wasn's the only one. It did really upset me I have to say. I just cannot believe that parents are left to feel this way.
Already after that first phonecall I know I am doing the right thing

Blossomhill Thu 30-Jun-05 16:13:47

Forgot to add that the parent's meeting went really well and we are joining up with Afasic as it makes sense as all of the children at dd's school have speech/ language impairments. There are so many people out there that don't have a clue what they are entitled to. It does make me so as they all have enough to cope with!!!
I just feel so at home talking with other parent's that understand

monica2 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:50:18

Well done BH, I am sure "you" being on the other end of the phone has made such a difference to that lady Afasic sounds fantastic and I am sure you and others will get so much from it, and hopefully in time it won't be as upsetting for you

Blossomhill Thu 30-Jun-05 21:58:58

Thanks Monica. How are you? Haven't seen you around in ages. Hopefully we can have another Brighton meet up and I'll do my best to be there

monica2 Thu 30-Jun-05 22:11:59

I'm good BH, glad to see the annual review went well too and you are having a better time with dd lately would love to see you at next Brighton meet up, can't make the London one unfortunately, lots going with dd and school etc

coppertop Thu 30-Jun-05 22:13:13

Well done on taking your first call, BH. It sounds as though Afasic is having a good effect on you too. Hurray!

Davros Fri 01-Jul-05 19:36:39

Great BH! Did you help her? Do you feel good? Fantastic!

Blossomhill Sat 02-Jul-05 19:31:29

Davros - yes it did feel good I have just learnt so much (maybe even too much) and it was nice to feel confident enough to advise someone else who was where I was 3 years ago!

TheRealMrsF Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:17

know what you meen BH....we have so much knowledge...fit to burst...and are being 'silenced' all the time by family and teachers who are 'deaf' ...... so to be able to share and help at the same time is brilliant!!!

I am training very thursday at the moment to be able to co-facillitate a parenting group

Davros Sat 02-Jul-05 20:12:02

When I did this I was amazed at just how much I knew and impressed myself It also helped me think through what I thought about a lot of things as I had to make sense to someone else. I think it really, really helped me, I would recommend it to anyone, even if you feel too busy there are benefits for you too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: