Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice on toilet training and tutors...?

(25 Posts)
Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 14:45:04

Message withdrawn

anniebear Wed 29-Jun-05 16:51:30

If you have a look at my recent thres "support for toliet training2 there is a really good e mail address to contact for advice

maddiemo Wed 29-Jun-05 18:43:09

Why do you feel uneasy Socci?
Maybe wait util he has been working wit her a few weeks then think about trying it. It would be a shame with the weather being so good to wait too long and you want to catch the right time for her.

My ds is also a great one for falling asleep when upset, sometimes I know it is because he is very distressed but other times it can be an avoidance tactic.

anniebear Wed 29-Jun-05 19:02:16

sorry, meant to put' recent thread'

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 19:14:59

Message withdrawn

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 19:19:34

Message withdrawn

maddiemo Wed 29-Jun-05 20:01:57

Socci Wait until he has been worjing with her a few weeks.

My son does it when stressed by noise, too much going on in the environment etc. He just closes his eyes lays on the floor and has a snooze.

It was much worse when he was younger, and I found it hard to explain to people as they would think that a stressed child should be screaming and kicking. People used to misread it as tiredness or even that he was so relaxed he could sleep anywhere .

Now he is older (6.8) he tends to do it to get out of tasks, such as writing, at school. Yesterday, he ran ahead of me and into the road(it was school home time and I lost my grip on him). He does know to stop but forgets. I told him off and he and he lay down and closed his eyes.

maddiemo Wed 29-Jun-05 20:03:21

I wonder if your dd was a little stressed by the other children and it was her way of coping with the situation.

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 20:13:00

Message withdrawn

maddiemo Wed 29-Jun-05 20:38:18

Socci, he has been at a unit attached to mainstream since he was three. The main school is three form intake which is about average where I live.

He has been lucky in his placement, it took a long while for him to be truly settled (teacher says about two years) but he has been happy. He likes the school knows the routine, all the staff etc.
He does still get distressed by other children and this is quite an issue even in a class of just ten. He is a very quiet child and like your dd likes his own company.

He will probably move into mainstream in the next couple of years, changes in the LEA provision mean his current placement is becoming less suitable.
We plan to make sure our mainstream statement has a "down time" period written in where he will be removed from the main class to a quiet area to help him cope.

What sort of provision do you have in your area?

maddiemo Wed 29-Jun-05 20:46:46

Sorry I didn't answer your last question. He is more social now and likes quite a few children. The downside of this, imo, is that as he has become older the social gap has widened between him and his nt peers.

He is more aware but the flip side of this is that he is much more anxious.

I think it is swings and roundabouts but overall I am very pleased with the progress he has made.

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 22:07:36

Socci, have you talked about your worries with supervisor/consultant? I think you should tell them and let them think about it. I would go ahead regardless, if the tutor is going to work out with your little girl then he will, toilet training or not. Unless there are serious problems don't get rid of him, male tutors are like gold dust and it could be good for her.

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 22:12:20

Message withdrawn

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 22:17:26

Message withdrawn

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 22:18:11

They can't be allowed to call the method at the school TEACCH unless it is done correctly with proper training..... watered down TEACCH! oooer missus.

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 22:22:09

Message withdrawn

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 22:40:41

When our LEA opened a unit using TEACCH I looked into what it is actually supposed to mean. It is a "brand" and the requirements to be "TEACCH" are very clear. So I asked our LEA if they were going to be using formal TEACCH and the answer was yes, I don't know if they do though! I can't find the info I had, I can prob dig it out from a file tomorrow. I think a lot of the TEACCH principles are good ones, structure and visual timetabling etc, but it seems to me that its more of a setting than a curriculum iyswim. I don't know how you decide WHAT and HOW to teach in this setting. I think they may have developed that side a bit more though. Will see what I can find.

Socci Wed 29-Jun-05 22:46:33

Message withdrawn

Davros Fri 01-Jul-05 12:49:42

Socci, I just dug out the TEACCH info. BTW, DS's school doesn't use TEACCH formally as it is an ABA school! However, I think there are good ideas from TEACCH that are used such as visual timetables etc although that doesn't really qualify as a TEACCH idea does it?
Anyway, the specific thing about TEACCH is something called the PEP, Psycho Educational Profile and TEACCH is quite specific about its application including the PEP. For more info look here

Socci Fri 01-Jul-05 13:06:36

Message withdrawn

Davros Fri 01-Jul-05 18:40:19

Yes, there are a number of ABA schools now and more planned or being opened. In fact, I've just read about an ABA unit attached to a mainstream school being opened in Belfast in Sept 2005, I wonder if the NI mums know?
If you want info on ABA schools you can prob get it from www.treehouse.org.uk My son goes to TreeHouse School

Davros Fri 01-Jul-05 18:41:18

Ooops, just read it again. The ABA unit in NI is going to be attached to an SLD school. Will start a thread to get the NI mums.

Socci Sun 03-Jul-05 09:34:42

Message withdrawn

Davros Sun 03-Jul-05 11:56:17

As far as I know TEACCH was developed as a classroom setting, not a curriculum. Therefore they are able to specify how a classroom should be set up with as few distractions/stimulation as possible. Since then I believe they have started running sessions on TEACCH in a home setting, I suspect as a response to the higher demand for ABA. You are right, they are completely out-of-date on aversives, they haven't been used for years and years and when Dr Lovaas did use them it was many years ago and studied just as much as the rest of the program. I belive aversives were used in extreme cases of self injury etc and they DO work, but only short term, so were dropped due to ineffectiveness and, of course, the change in culture. Time out is one of those things that inexperienced people come up with and you have to be careful they don't implement it without consultation...... what are many children with ASD likely to enjoy or find reinforcing? Being left in a room on their own with no intervention/interaction, doh!

Socci Sun 03-Jul-05 15:40:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now