Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Deep sensory massage - anyone's child had one?

(10 Posts)
Bethron Wed 29-Jun-05 11:38:58

Message withdrawn

coppertop Wed 29-Jun-05 11:43:39

Ds2 is massaged with baby lotion once or twice a day to help with his sensory problems. I was never actually shown how to do it but it seems to be working well. He's actually wearing clothes atm - a miracle for him as he usually strips off the second he gets home. Deep pressure hugs and squeezes also help him to calm down and stop being quite so hyper.

Do you have an OT who might be able to help?

Bethron Wed 29-Jun-05 12:06:44

Message withdrawn

coppertop Wed 29-Jun-05 18:55:29

about the wait to see an OT. Ds1 doesn't feel very much either. He did a lot of throwing himself on to the floor just to get some kind of sensory input. Firm pressure works well for him too. Another thing that can help is if you wrap ds in a heavy duvet and squeeze him, or even squeeze down firmly on his body with cushions and pillows. Both ds1 and ds2 find that very calming and will now actually do it to each other. A very firm deep hug can also help.

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 21:59:41

DS used to enjoy an aromatherapy massage and the therapist knew not to use light touch, but firm. I'm not sure how much "good" it did him but the fact that he allowed it and stayed on the bed-thing was interesting in itself. Must phone about booking again as haven't been since DD was 6 mos old

Bethron Wed 29-Jun-05 22:12:43

Message withdrawn

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 22:20:33

That's what I thought. I thought there was no way DS would stay still, it was a stupid idea, why did I say yes when the session was offered etc etc. He loved it, I said I would take cucumber slices for his eyes! It didn't go totally smoothly from day one, but much better than I expected and we got to a good situation wher he knew what to expect and that he liked it.

Bethron Wed 29-Jun-05 22:24:45

Message withdrawn

Davros Wed 29-Jun-05 22:25:46

YES! They do parent/carer sessions in the holidays while the children run amok in the garden and playroom! Personally I can't think of anything MORE stressful than some stranger rubbing my body, but that's just me

Bethron Wed 29-Jun-05 22:32:31

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now