Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA appeal - advice please!!!!

(16 Posts)
Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 13:33:46

Hi, I recently said about our DLA being refused so you guys have told me to appeal. I think I've almost done the appeal letter but i'm a bit stuck on the mobility side of it.

Ds1 is fully mobile, good walker, i've written about the no sense of danger ie. may run into roads therefore constant supervision, I've written about may go off with strangers, I've written about set routines on journerys and behavioural tantrums if this varies.

Any other advice on this side of things????

In case I've not spoken to some of you ds1 is HF autistic and is 4 1/2.! Just don't know if I've written enough.

Many thanks in advance

Sax

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 15:09:43

bump

coppertop Mon 27-Jun-05 15:45:51

I don't think you'll be able to get the mobility component until he's 5 but if you mean the "walking outside" section I think I put things like:

- sensory problems while out and about: people getting too close, noise from traffic/children/music in shops, sunlight and fluorescent lights etc

- Doesn't always hear when you call his name so telling him to stop, come back, don't do X is very difficult.

- Any obsessions along the way. Ds2, for example, has a thing about shapes and so will run off to touch circle patterns on draincovers etc

- Any phobias. Ds1 was absolutely petrified of dogs on leads and so used to scream or run away every time we saw one.

I'll try to think of more if I can.

lou33 Mon 27-Jun-05 15:48:09

mobility can be claimed from age 3, ds2 had had it since then

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 15:52:36

Thanks coppertop - I'm not trying necessarily to get the mobility part it was just on the standard letter which came as a refusal for DLA. I still don't believe we'll get it - it is just everyone says we must appeal so just giving it our best shot! Thanks though.

misdee Mon 27-Jun-05 15:52:51

only higher can be claimed at age 3 lou. basically the child has to be virtually incapable of walking

Fran1 Mon 27-Jun-05 15:53:33

add at the end of most of your sentences "and this is not the norm for a child of 41/2 years who does not have special needs" Or similar!

Repeat that throughout just change the phrasing each time if you can.

Presumably, he will still have this lack of sense of danger even in three or four or more years time? If so point that out.

What grounds were you refused?

You may have done this already, but it really helps to get statements from other people. Such as immediate family that no him well, GP's, school teachers, childminders, and other medical experts you see! Take photocopies and send them all in with your appeal. (don't rely on them asking each individual for this information.)

Leave out the fully mobile, good walker part. Just straight to the point that Your son needs your constant supervision because .....This is not the case for other 4 yr olds.....this effects the rest of the family and needs careful preparation in advance of any minor outings out of the house. He needs you to give warning, explain whats going to happen, how its going to happen, choose appropriate clothing to wear all before even embarking on the journey where you then need to watch constantly to ensure he doesn't run away or have an ouburst, and to keep him calm and explain to him what you are doing at each point of the journey. (i'm sorry i know i'm guessing and could be wrong on some of these points, they're just common things i've written on DLA forms for children with Autism before.)

Let us know how you go!

lou33 Mon 27-Jun-05 15:53:37

ah, that would be the reason then misdee!

anniebear Mon 27-Jun-05 15:53:57

I thought you got mobility from 3? We got the mobility component for Ellie when she was 3, or is that just "help with getting around" I'm confused!!

Fran1 Mon 27-Jun-05 15:56:37

You'll be surprised. I've known cases to be awareded just from a phonecall requesting it gets revised. i've been running around madly collecting evidence, and before i even send it in, they write to say it has been awarded!

coppertop Mon 27-Jun-05 15:59:22

I was always advised to fill in the mobility section anyway just so that they can see just what kinds of problems you have. Good luck with the appeal, Sax. I think the number of people winning DLA appeals is quite high. I may well be joining you if/when ds2's claim gets turned down!

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 16:10:42

Thank you and Fran1 LOL I haven't written he is a good walker and fully mobile (descretley omitted - I was just telling you guys!!!!!) but thanks for your replies, given me a little more meat to add.

Fran1 Mon 27-Jun-05 16:15:50

Oh sorry ! i thought that was a sentence from your appeal

Davros Mon 27-Jun-05 17:41:22

I made the point that an NT child of the same age as DS CAN go to the shops at the end of the road, find granny's house in the same street etc but they are not ALLOWED to, whereas DS CAN'T do anything like that.

onlyjoking Mon 27-Jun-05 21:24:42

you can get mobility from 3 years but ONLY if you are getting high rate care

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 21:46:20

I certainly won't get high rate, so is it best to ignore that bit for the appeal letter and just talk about the personal care which is the other bit they picked up on onlyjoking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now