Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Honestly, i am losing my marbles, please tell me its not just me

(19 Posts)
Fio2 Mon 27-Jun-05 08:02:01

please

i feel a right prat. i cannot remember anything nowadays. Yesterday i took the kids to woolies and dd took my purse off me, she had it one minute, then the next it had gone. I looked all round woolies and couldnt find it. So I reported it to the manager and had quite a few staff looking for it, and ran the kids home and got my husband to cancel all my cards. Then i went back again and looked and really i was in a right panic. Well after alot of looking I found it inside one of those 'name' mugs. Darren or something it was, so she had hid it, it wasnt stolen. I just took it out the mug and walked home. i didnt even tell all the people who were looking for it I felt awful, really bad and in a panic. I just cant seem to concentrate and feel so absent minded. isd it just me or am i losing the plot? i seem to have so much on my mind I cant function normally.

anyway what a waffle, needed to get it off my chest. i think i am going mad

Merlot Mon 27-Jun-05 09:03:07

I know exactly what you mean Fio - sometimes it just overwhelms you doesn't it (I bet you felt like bursting into tears didn't you?)

FWIW, and I know this might sound a little strange but are you premenstrual at the moment. I know that with all the stresses and strains of caring for a little one with special needs, it just normally gets the better of me (and my brain!!) every now and again and I've noticed that a pattern is emerging....and it really is worse just before a period.

gigglinggoblin Mon 27-Jun-05 09:04:24

if it makes you feel any better, i lost my purse once. thought i had left it at uni but its a large campus and i had been all over it that day. retraced all steps, informed security. went home almost in tears cos dp had bought the purse as a pressie and i really loved it. searched the house top to bottom, just in case, no sign. told dp when he got home. he said, which one is it, i thought you only had that one (pointing to my purse sitting innocently in full view on the table). what a prat i felt! did let security know, but had wasted hours looking!

meggymoo Mon 27-Jun-05 09:11:13

Message withdrawn

galaxy Mon 27-Jun-05 09:12:17

Me too - dh and ds are constantly accusing me of having said things I know I haven't said or not saying things I know I have said

rickman Mon 27-Jun-05 09:17:53

Message withdrawn

YogiYahooey Mon 27-Jun-05 10:31:22

I call the washing machine the dishwasher, the micro the toaster etc., I sometimes have to get out of my car and switch the house alarm off to check that I have locked all the doors because I can't remember doing them. I forget all dates unless they are on the calender but that only works if I remember to look. I do not know what the date is today or any day and was quite surprised when I found out we were in June!! and if I remember my name then it is a good day. I answer to anything!!

anniebear Mon 27-Jun-05 11:03:26

I can't concentrate properly through the day, forget everything, lose everything etc

Just put it down to the lack of sleep and stress since Ellie was so ill three years ago

Your certainly not on your own!!!!

Pages Mon 27-Jun-05 17:08:58

I too am like this daily - always going upstairs to get something and forgetting by the time I get up there, etc. I just laugh at myself. I am certain that the more you have to think about the less room the brain has to store it - don't feel bad Fio. If you think you're mad, I certainly am. The other day I was typing at the computer and I suddenly thought "Oh no, I haven't got my seatbelt on". Good job I didn't say it out loud. What was that all about?

Davros Mon 27-Jun-05 17:45:08

I find that poor sleeping definitely makes this worse, the inability to concentrate, to get anything started, to finish one thing before stopping or moving to something else, not being able to remember things. Luckily I don't seem to have too many days like this and its definitely sleep related when I do. How is your sleep Fio? Obviously its also to do with having a lot on your mind too.

lunachic Mon 27-Jun-05 17:53:48

no dont worry fio2 ive been like this too
i had a lovely day out yesterday and came back stressed and harrased instead of happy (partly due to ds looning out on a bag of dried friut snacks)
was going to post a thread last night saying i feel rubbish but there were already several threads and have been in the last week too
i am putting it down to something planetary /astrological that is affecting us all-i asked someone today who said that the major thing at the mo is chiron in aquarius so i googled it and found a site with a nice essay on this and how the changes will affect us-please dont think im a fruit bat ill do a link if youre interested !

flo2 at least it was dd who lost purse and not you i nearly left mine on shop counter yesterday

lunachic Mon 27-Jun-05 17:55:02

pages lol at not having your seatbelt on were you tyoing very fast !

Fio2 Mon 27-Jun-05 18:31:48

i got hardly any sleep last night, dd doesnt sleep thats half the problem

jenkins88 Mon 27-Jun-05 19:17:23

It's not just you fio. I took DS for his hearing test today and felt a right bloody idiot when the receptionist informed me that it's actually the 27th today (not the 28th)

The worse thing was that I had flown out of the house in such a rush that I'd forgotten my purse, which meant I had to walk instead of getting the bus. My feet were blistered and I could have cried when I realised that I had to walk home again.

It's not cheering me up much to think that I have to do it all again tomorrow.

Caroline5 Mon 27-Jun-05 21:02:21

Am exactly the same fio, some days are worse than others, I think it is mainly connected with sleep but also stress levels affect it. Forgot my purse the other day when I went to Tescos, really embarrassing at checkout, had to leave my shopping there to go home and get purse, on my way home nearly crashed into a white van, driver waving at me lewdly etc!! Have nearly lost my purse on a huge number of occasions. Think I would leave my brain behind if I could!

anniebear Mon 27-Jun-05 21:47:31

Pages, that is sooooo funny!!!

Pages Mon 27-Jun-05 21:57:55

He he, yes I was typing quite fast at the time!!

Fio2 Tue 28-Jun-05 07:36:55

Oh Pages, i missed that

glad it isnt just me. What is it with purses and keys???!

zebraZ Tue 28-Jun-05 08:18:33

I misplaced my credit card on Saturday, after a trip to Sainsbury's. Popped back in yesterday to ask if they had found it... the guy pulls out a basketfull of lost creditcards that nobody has claimed! Mine wasn't in there, but still pleased me no end to see how many other scatty people had been in Sainsbury's recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now