Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

family fund and housing adaptions

(10 Posts)
lou33 Fri 24-Jun-05 12:31:09

doe anyone know if the ff will help pay towards housing adaptions?

we have an ot report recommending changes that ds will need for our bungalow, and ss are paying for it from the disabled thingy grant, but they have said the max they will pay is 25k, and they think it will cost more than that.

lou33 Fri 24-Jun-05 12:41:29

sparklymieow Fri 24-Jun-05 12:42:30

dunno, are you private??

misdee Fri 24-Jun-05 12:42:46

no idea lou. what sort of adaptations need doing?

sparklymieow Fri 24-Jun-05 12:43:44

I think you can get a givermant grant for adaption through the council if you are private

sparklymieow Fri 24-Jun-05 12:46:58

look on your local council website and search for home improvement grants

lou33 Fri 24-Jun-05 12:54:31

didn't make myself clear did i?

council have agreed that we can have the grant, but the max they give is 25k, and based on the work we need doing, it will most likely be more than that. So i was wondering if the family fund would pay the difference, or do they not pay for building alterations?

we need to make extra rooms for ds2 to ahve his own place to lseep do his therapies, store his equipment, the bathroom needs to be adapted to enable him to use it independently in the future, and doorways need widening.

they reckon the bathroom alone will be 5 or 6k (gulp)

chonky Fri 24-Jun-05 13:25:12

I don't know if this helps at all, but you are VAT exempt on work that is done for adaptations. A drop in the ocean I know.
There's a blue book with all the details called 'VAT Reliefs for people with disabilities' which you can get from HM Customs and Excise.

sparklymieow Fri 24-Jun-05 13:40:18

dunno then hun.

lou33 Fri 24-Jun-05 16:57:18

i dont think it would apply to us chonky, because ss will be apying for it, not us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: