Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

whacking his head hard on anything he can find.

(17 Posts)
Jimjams Wed 22-Jun-05 19:12:51

Even taken some plaster off the wall. If nothing hard is to hand then he's using his knee. Both knees and head are bruised.

So I guess the MSG trial didn't work then?????

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 19:13:48

did you introduce it or remove it?

happymerryberries Wed 22-Jun-05 19:14:54

Oh hell! Didn't know about this trail, what has been happening, other than the head banging?

Jimjams Wed 22-Jun-05 19:19:05

introduced it. Basically he's been MSG free for years. Started kicking off and trying to steal Pringles at school (another boy has them). So I said rather than keep him off them without being sure they were a problem we should trial them. He purposely banged his head on each of our concrete steps yesterday but I thought it mught be the moon/heat whatever. But this afternoon its been dreadful.

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 20:20:06

that sounds like quite a conclusive test then

no pringles for jam-let I suppose

Davros Wed 22-Jun-05 20:36:21

I suppose take it away and see what happens???? But MSG specifically rather than gluten? Prob dumb question.

Jimjams Wed 22-Jun-05 21:33:18

It'll go Davros - within a week. Happened before half term as well (but then he'd had gluten as well). I think MSG and sweetners are more of a problem for him than gluten these days tbh.

jmb1964 Wed 22-Jun-05 23:14:12

Hope it soon settles Jimjams. Would he wear kneepads, the sort you get for skateboarders? and will the school be able to stop other children waving things like Pringles around? Our school is 'nut-free' but I suppose 'MSG-free' is rather a tall order!

Christie Wed 22-Jun-05 23:44:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jimjams Thu 23-Jun-05 07:32:54

msg free is harder than gluten free- it's in everything. He keeps coming back with sentence strips made up for I want yellow crisps so I suspect they're the offenders- ready salted (only ones msg free) are red!

Ah well he ate 2 fromgae frais for the fisrt time in 6 months yesterday. yay!

happymerryberries Thu 23-Jun-05 07:42:40

The other thing, and I know this is going to brand me forever as barking mad, the moon was very big last night

Made of mine used to swear that it sent her NT kids a little ott

Jimjams Thu 23-Jun-05 08:27:32

ds1 is completely off the wall this month with the full moon - but that wakes him up- in fact he's lying in bed at the moment so must have been up a lot last night (he's got 10 mins before the taxi). The headbanging is always food related.

KarenThirl Thu 23-Jun-05 08:33:37

Oh Gawd, sounds awful. Can you take him off it straight away, or would the sudden removal cause more problems? Hope he calms down a little when it's gone.

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 11:24:34

Jimjams.

Have you tried epsom salt baths to help draw out the toxins?

MSG causes J to have major meltdowns and he also gets a white ring around his mouth, which I know a couple of other people who have kids with MSG intollerances get to. Quite how it causes the whitening gawd only knows, but its a sure sign to us that he has had the dreaded MSG and a meltdown will occur.

Hope things settle for you soon.

How is your ds's speach coming along?

Jimjams Thu 23-Jun-05 11:35:00

seriously? - I was looking at him this morning thinking he had a weird ring around his mouth.

I haven't used espom salts because he's very good at drinking the bathwatrer even when we're standing guard right over him!

jayzmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 11:38:32

I know Davzmum, who posts here sometimes, has a son who reacts in the same way as J to MSG and I asked her about the white ring around J's mouth and she said her son gets it to. So I tottled off and tried to find out why it happens but hit a brick wall.

Jimjams Fri 24-Jun-05 18:05:13

update here . I can't believe the state of his head tonight- or how hard he's been hitting it- mainly on the dinning room table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now