Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

very annoyed with the manager of a indoor play area.....

(21 Posts)
anniebear Mon 20-Jun-05 12:18:31

we went on Holiday last week and it rained on the Wednesday so we took Grace and Ellie into a soft play area.

Obviously now and again I had to go in and give Ellie a bit of extra help as sometimes she got stuck.

We had been there for quite a long time when Ellie got very stuck and got upset so I had to go in to get her out.

Next minute there was a voice, the manager looking up at me and told me I wasn't allowed in there. I said "my daughter has special needs I have to help her out"

He repeated "but you are not allowed in there"

I really did well keeping my cool, he must have said it three times to me and each time I replied, my voice got louder and I said again slowly "she has special needs, she is stuck, and I have to get her out.

But he wasn't having any of it.

Can you believe that

I was so annoyed.

I should have said more and told him he was discriminating against disabled people as he was stopping my daughter from playing in there, but a few people were looking and I just wanted to get out.

The manger didn't reappear so my Husband complained to someone else. He said "oh the manger is having a bad time at the moment, he put diesel in his car instead of petrol"

Arrrrrrh, bless, what a tough life he must have!!!

Chocol8 Mon 20-Jun-05 13:31:25

Oooooh!!! You did well to keep your patience, I would have given him a gob full.

I would definitely call and find out who owns the play area and complain officially. Poor Ellie and poor you. The manager is a ****!

gigglinggoblin Mon 20-Jun-05 13:38:57

what a prat. i frequently have to go and get my kids unstuck and have never had anyone speak to me like that. you should have offered to let him do it! would just be v smug that his car is wrecked cos hes dumb

MandM Mon 20-Jun-05 14:08:54

Anniebear - I have got myself stuck in ball pools and up rope bridges many times, having to rescue dd and I would be absolutely furious if anyone challenged me about it. I go on the bouncy castle so that dd can stand up on it and I've even gone down the slide a few times when she's needed help. Without this, she wouldn't have the same access to the equipment to as an NT child, and that IMO is discrimination.

I'm sure none of the other parents or children were bothered in the slightest by you helping Ellie and I'm also sure they would have done exactly the same in your situation. After all, what other option is there, apart from to make her sit and watch?

The manager sounds like an absolute prize plonker and I wouldn't definitely put your complaint in writing to the owners. If nothing else, it might help to highlight a training need for the staff/policy change which could improve things for other SN children using the centre in the future.

Marina Mon 20-Jun-05 14:28:37

Complain in writing anniebear. That kind of attitude is totally unacceptable.
What a shame some of the onlookers didn't back you up instead of gawping

Fio2 Mon 20-Jun-05 15:34:00

how awful for you this is why i steer away from stuff like this with my dd and it has a cost that ds doesnt get to do it either (well i lie, he does on a wednesday afternoon occassionally)

Easy Mon 20-Jun-05 15:47:53

Take a look at this link regarding the Disability discrimination act. I would write to the organisation that runs the playcentre, quoting section 3 of this act.

Their local trading standards office might be able to speak to them too, if you contact them.

The excuse that the manager's having a 'bad day' doesn't wash, does it.

coppertop Mon 20-Jun-05 15:52:05

The poor manager. I feel soooo sorry for him, having to deal with something so difficult as putting the wrong fuel in his car. What an @rse!

I would add in the letter that it might be a good idea for this man to go on some kind of SN-awareness course.

Saker Mon 20-Jun-05 15:54:26

This type of behaviour would be unacceptable whether a child has SN or not. You would not leave any child stuck and distressed without going to help them. I feel he is in the wrong job....

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 16:00:54

Gasp!

Yes complain in writing. Shocking

batters Mon 20-Jun-05 16:03:04

Agree that you should complain in writing. At the very least it might stop the silly man treating someone else so shoddily.

YogiYahooey Mon 20-Jun-05 19:36:10

Cor!! I would have let rip - how dare he?? He is a super willy wonker plonker!!

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 19:43:52

FFS... I've had to rescue my NT ds1 on numerous occasions from these places - I would be fuming if someone told me I couldn't, even more so if my presence was even more essential with a special needs child.

Is it part of a chain, could you complain to the head office quoting discrimination legislation and kick up a stink? Contacting a local paper might dent their income somewhat too...

Really angry on your behalf

anniebear Mon 20-Jun-05 19:55:39

As we walked away from the play area, DH whispered in my ear "bet you are dying to get on Mumsnet"!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol

I said to the Mums today at the SN Toy Library that even a NT childcan get stuck!!!

It was one of those that yes I should have said more but at the time you dont and when you get home you go through the 10 things you should have said!

eidsvold Mon 20-Jun-05 23:44:00

complain, complain, complain and if you get no satisfaction - complain again to others - tough about his car - that does not give him the right to be a pig!! Gosh if things like that gave you the right to be horrible - imagine how we could all behave

Like MandM - I am often up parts of the soft play area that we go to with dd1 to help her or rescue her - I would defy anyone to say something to me!!!

I know what you mean about thinking of tonnes of things to say once you are gone.....

Skribble Mon 20-Jun-05 23:48:46

The best way to complain is to put it in writing. If you get no reply then phone to make sure it has been received but keep at it. You could go to the papers and make them look bad if you get no satisfaction from them.

jenkins88 Tue 21-Jun-05 00:58:37

As others have pointed out, any child (sn or nt) could get in a bit of a muddle in one of these places and need an adults help.

I can't understand why he kept repeating that you are not allowed in after you had explained that you were going to help her because she was stuck. What did he expect you to do? Leave her in there?

This man sounds like an idiot.

Davros Tue 21-Jun-05 09:49:19

annie, I think what happened is outrageous and, in theory, you should complain in writing. I wouldn't blame you though if you just let it go. Making a complaint is a commitment and sometimes I must confess that I don't bother. If you feel up to it and strongly enough then do but don't feel bad if you don't iyswim.

zebraZ Tue 21-Jun-05 09:57:26

I think technically these places aren't insured for an adult (or even an older child) to go in there, that's why they get so persistent.

I don't know the solution. I sometimes help my (NT) children in these places, too. I would just ignore the manager & help my child when needed; that way manager can deny liability if you slip on a ball & try to sue them, and you still get to help your child when needed.

anniebear Tue 21-Jun-05 12:19:23

If it was a local play area I would be making more of a fuss, but it's 5 hours away!!!

Not that it makes much difference, he was still wrong, but if it was nearer I would do more.

DH is meant to be writing but he is as bad as me at getting around to things!!

I understand that parents may not be insured in some of these places, but I have never had any problems before and I have been to loads.

As soon as I told him Ellie was SN he should have said "oh, ok"!!

Silly man!!

Lets hope he has put some more diesel into his car since!!!

chipmonkey Tue 21-Jun-05 13:34:25

I think this is crazy! I've been to loads of places where kids get stuck and parents or employees of the place have to rescue them. This guy sounds like the worst kind of twit ever. Definitely a complaint in writing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now