Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So i asked dd1 why she didn't eat her lunch....

(17 Posts)
Marne Wed 11-Nov-09 16:13:22

And her answer was...

THE CHOCOLATE WAS TOO FLUFFY (MILKY WAY)

THE SAUSAGES HAD HARD BITS IN.

THE GRAPES HAD PIPS

AND THE SANDWICHES HAD CRUSTS.

So what am i supposed to feed her? grin.

What do you put in your children's lunch box if they have so many sensory issues with food?

It must not be too rough too hard, too soft, too runny, too messy or hard to unwrap grin.

silverfrog Wed 11-Nov-09 16:23:45

oh, i feel for you.

is she any better eating hot meals? would you be able to send in, say, soup in a flask to have with (non-crusty grin) bread?

or spag bol and pasta?

dd1 has food issues (both intolerances and sensory) and this is what I do for her. at least that way i know she can eat what I'm sending (won't touch sandwiches or most usual lunchbox food) - whether she does or not is a different matter...

I've sent in all sorts this way - curry, fishfingers/sausages/nuggets, risotto...

Marne Wed 11-Nov-09 16:29:27

The only hot food she will eat is pizza, roast potatoes and sometimes chicken nuggets sad.

Up until now the only fruit i could get into her was grapes, blueberries and raspberries. Now grapes are a no no because she found a pip hmm.

She seems a lot better with cold food rather than hot, she won't touch anything in a sauce so no pasta, gravy etc..

I'm running out of ideas.

lou031205 Wed 11-Nov-09 16:53:58

DD's fave is pasta with tuna and mayonnaise in a tub.

bubblagirl Wed 11-Nov-09 16:54:06

you can buy crustless bread as for anything else im sorry i have no idea maybe if she helped prepare it would it make a difference cut grapes seedless ones so she can see they have no pips etc

Marne Wed 11-Nov-09 17:02:58

Cutting the grapes is a good idea, they are seedless ones but they seem to have tiny weeny pips in them which she finds grin.

magso Wed 11-Nov-09 17:25:59

I feel for you too - and am just posting to say that ds was very fussy for a few years but has got less restricted now. I used to par cook his carrot strips to make them softer, trim his sandwiches, chop all fruit peel orange segments etc. Does she like pin wheel sandwiches or tinned manderins (skinned without extra sugar). Ds oddly likes cold crumpets, wraps and processed cheese grin -but each to his own!

bogie Wed 11-Nov-09 17:32:05

could you make some chicken nuggets bites and send them cold?

bogie Wed 11-Nov-09 17:33:28

or maybe nutri grain bars?
I am guessing she wouldn't eat cream crackers?!

twinset Wed 11-Nov-09 17:40:25

Cheese scones? potato farls? pitta bread with a little cream cheese or hummus inside? bagels? malt bread? Does she like dried fruit? Humzinger dried fruit bars?

Marne Wed 11-Nov-09 17:48:12

Oh i could try pitta breads, she might eat sandwiches if i cut them into shapes grin, she loves cheese (cheddar, babybels and feta) and sometimes she will eat cream crackers (i will try them tomorrow).

She used to eat dried fruit but now doesn't but i could try her again.

She doesn't like any kind of oranges (too juicy), she will eat jelly and yoghurts but is wary of taking yoghurt to school as she gets in a mess.

bogie Wed 11-Nov-09 17:50:21

I have some great sandwich cutters that don't waste most of the bread like a ginger bread man shaped cutter would! I have a duck teddy and heart.

cloelia Wed 11-Nov-09 19:13:10

yogurts in pouches or tubes
dairylea dunkers
smooth peanut butter tiny weeny sandwiches no crusts
tiny home made sponge cakes no icing no filling def no raisins
battenburg cake cut into coloured squares
cheesestrings (sorry, yuk I know)
smoothies made yourself or innocent (expensive)in pouches; put home made into little tiny yakult type bottles
little segmented mandarins (especially if they hang about your house for a while and are then drier)
weirdly, chopped tinned pears are smooth and acceptable too
cucumber batons, seeded and skinned
cold rice things, either puddingy or savoury flavoured (no bits)
hope some of these might do!!

Marne Wed 11-Nov-09 19:20:11

She has just asked me for cheese strings (purple ones) apparently someone at school has them.

I will try smoothies.

5inthebed Wed 11-Nov-09 19:44:56

DS2 is a nightmare with packed lunches. He ha to have the same stuff every day. His packed lunch consists of:

Jam sandwich, has to be seedless strawberry
Yoghurt (pouches) or a Mullerice
Banana
Cubed cheese, has to be extra strong mature cheddar, none of that bland cheese
Mini cheddars

I will also sometimes put a chocolate biscuit or mini roll in, but don't want him getting too familiar with it.

Smoothies are good, as gets different fruits into them, but quite expensive. Tesco do their own, similar to innocent ones, called Cheeky Monkey or something like that.

I once made the mistake of making him a chicken sandwich, with proper roast chicken, and he wouldn't eat his whole packed lunch for days.

I've also tried strawberries, sliced up, but he wouldn't eat them even though he eats them occasionally at home.

misscutandstick Wed 11-Nov-09 23:06:30

we've got one of these and its helped on the sandwich front.

dino cutter from lakeland its reasonably priced.

some things on cloelias list work well for DS4 (sensory probs with food) too. A tube of writing icing (bit pricy but worth it) also works wonders when hes allowed to decorate anything and everything.

Marne Thu 12-Nov-09 12:36:19

She will love the dinosaur cutter (she's really in to dinosaurs at the moment).

I gave in today and got her some cheese strings.

today i let her have a jaffa cake and a few crisps (she wont eat crisps out of a packet so i put some in a tub).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now