Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Occupational Therapy help

(8 Posts)
jings Tue 10-Nov-09 20:00:06

Is it impossible to get OT for school age children (specifically with autism in this case). Although it's on his statement, I'm told it's not in the right section - it's under section 6 (non educational provision) instead of under section 3 educational provision). DS has recently been referred by paed to physio who says he needs OT and then special school has said the health authority does not provide OT to children over 5 years old - he's 6! Do I give up - when there's enough energy needed every day for other things, or should he be entitled to OT or do I have to try and pay for it separately? Anyone else having the same difficulties with OT?

daisy5678 Tue 10-Nov-09 20:14:08

No, not impossible. J's is in Part 3. It should be in Part 3 if needs that would be dealt with by OT are described in Part 2 e.g. J's says something about significant issues with sensory processing, fine motor skills, priopeceptive (or something) sense and visual perception and so the OT in Part 3 is supposed to deal with that need, iykwim.

The special school are hopefully talking bobbins.

Does he have an OT? In my area, you can self-refer via the Children's services team or get the GP to.

jings Tue 10-Nov-09 20:18:12

Thanks for that - it sounds as though there isn't a school age OT in this area - a rumour I had heard before!

chopstheduck Wed 11-Nov-09 08:14:45

In our area the physio and the OT work together, so the physio can refer to OT and vice versa.

I think it's absurd that it wouldn't apply to older children, there must be access somehow.

borderslass Wed 11-Nov-09 08:28:16

My son is 15 and has just had a sensory profile done by OT.

r3dh3d Wed 11-Nov-09 08:44:04

Yer issue is that enforcing therapy (OT, physio, SLT etc) provision only through NHS is legally v diff. If it's in part 3 of the statement then the LEA is legally required to provide it, if necessary by private care though in practice they just lean harder on the NHS than you can.

Because of this parents fight to get it put in part 3 and LEAs fight to get it taken out. There is a good section on the IPSEA web site about this, there seem to be 3 landmark judgements saying:
1) it can be educational so go in part 3
2) it's not generally educational
3) educational has a broader definition for children with disabilities

What school/OT tell you may depend on which of those 3 judgements had just come out when they read the memo. Their employers are hardly motivated to keep them up to date on this stuff, so I wouldn't rely on their info.

Generally, I think this will tend to mean that you've a better chance of getting OT in the statement for a child with SLD/PMLD. But read this link, judgements Lancashire, Isle of Wight, and Bromley.

anonandlikeit Wed 11-Nov-09 09:29:00

ds2 has OT & its not in his statement at all.
She goes in to school.
Once he reached 5 his OT care transferred from pre school services to school age Services.
It still comes under the HA but rather than the CDC she works out of childrens services along with the community paed, community physio etc. The do however work closely with LEA.
Might be worth ringing the various dept at your local HA, to find out who is emplyed in which depts & then you can start hounding asking them to see your ds.

jings Thu 12-Nov-09 18:46:16

Thanks for messages - sounds like I have to fight to get it in section 3. The school have agreed to talk to LEA too and I am going to contact paed to get referral. And so it goes on, never a moment without a letter to write or something to chase up.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now