Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT today [sad]

(10 Posts)
lou031205 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:05:09

SALT assessment for statementing was today. Last year DD had the reynell scale done, and she came out on the 13th percentile. Today she came out on the 5th percentile sad

SALT says that between that and her sensory processing issue & attention/concentration level, DD is going to really struggle at school.

SALT says she'll need 1:1 to explain & breakdown instructions, & she'll need her own curriculum.

Off the record, she said that she might cope mainstream for a while, but for how long is the question.

But, SALT can't state that DD needs 'full 1:1' or a number of hours, or that she thinks Special School is appropriate, because she is not education. All she can do is describe DD's difficulties, and her needs, and leave it to the LA to conclude that the only way to meet them is full 1:1.

grumpyoldeeyore Mon 09-Nov-09 19:38:12

"SALT can't state that DD needs 'full 1:1' or a number of hours, or that she thinks Special School is appropriate, because she is not education"

Not sure this is right. Our SALT wasn't allowed to tell us what she thought about education when we got diagnosis but said that if we got statutory assessment then she would be asked for her views and could be more candid. Based on the differences she saw in DS she told us she is now going to put a recommendation for ABA in her report for a statement. So I think she can say more - whilst sticking to her area of expertise of course. Look at the Code of Practice and the section where they ask for advice.

Write down what she said in a proper note so if its not in report you can refer back to the conversation if you end up at tribunal.

lou031205 Mon 09-Nov-09 20:14:23

I see what you mean. TBH I was reeling from the shock that I was surprised at DD's score. I knew I was worried about her S&L, but I didn't expect her to come out as low as that, and hadn't fully appreciated the impact. I also received the OT's report on her sensory profile, and was hit by the string of 'definite differences' everywhere. What a day sad

TotalChaos Mon 09-Nov-09 22:53:22

sorry you had such a grim day. DS's various NHS SALTs never said anything massively useful re:education, but they certainly felt happy to comment on it iyswim.

PipinJo Mon 09-Nov-09 23:45:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mary21 Tue 10-Nov-09 10:13:58

Hi Where do you want DD to go to school?? in many areas the amout of SALT you get in mainstream is woefully low. they mainly act as an advisor to the teacher. Where as in a special school there will hopefully be a speech and language thereapist on the staff. however in mainstream your DD will be mixing with other children who have "normal" language so will have the opertunity for modelling. Some kids come on in leaps and bounds once they start mainstream others fail to make any progress and become socially isolated Sometimes SALT wont commit to an amout of therapy required because they know it is impossible to provide withen the system. if they report your DD needs daily SALT from a qualified therapist, you are then in a prime position to turn around and say well this independant special school is the only one that can provide this and you would probibly be right and they will have to shell out £££££££. There are many adgendas withen adgedas! Do you have any speech and language units where you are???? Look at several different types of school. If one seems right or wrong dont just accept what you are given because the LEA's interest is financial not solely in the interest of your child.

lou031205 Tue 10-Nov-09 13:04:22

I'm not sure what DD's main needs are, tbh, she has so many different needs. They are all saying she's intelligent, so Special might not be good. But she is so far from the mainstream kids, that the SALT said 'she might go to mainstream school, but she won't be mainstream. I agree.

waitingforgodot Tue 10-Nov-09 15:12:41

I don't have anything to add but watching this thread with interest. What a tough day for you. Where would you like your DD to go in terms of schooling?

lou031205 Tue 10-Nov-09 16:17:35

I'm not sure, waitingforgodot. I look at her and want her to be able to access as much as possible. She is a bright little thing, but with the sensory issues, her speech and language skills and general GDD, and epilepsy, it is all stacked against her.

Her behaviour is difficult. She needs full 1:1 for safety, and she is impulsive with no sense of danger.

But, she is toilet trained, she loves to see other children, and she loves people.

I don't want her to be the kid in mainstream who obviously doesn't fit in, but I don't want her to be the kid in Special who could have succeeded in Mainstream <brain mashed emoticon>

TotalChaos Tue 10-Nov-09 17:50:16

lou- nothing is set in stone - kids can and do transfer between MS and special school and vice versa depending on how they are getting on. or sometimes can have a split placement - say some time in a SN unit in a m/s school and some time in the MS classes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now