Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OT appointment at last!

(8 Posts)
debs40 Mon 09-Nov-09 15:31:53

Some of you will know I've been banging on about school not taking DS' problems seriously, including ignoring all the suggestions I've had from the OT who has not seen DS yet but made some suggestions about low muscle tone/hypermobility whilst we were waiting for an appointment.

School wouldn't implement them until they have seen an OT report saying he's doing ok anyway.

I told the OT and she has fitted DS into one of her next clinics so we will have an appointment next week.

It really cheers you up when a professional is prepared to make an effort to help!

asteroids Mon 09-Nov-09 15:34:03

Hi,
So pleased you've got a result. How did you go about getting the OT appointment? One of my young clients needs an assessment and school won't help. Did you go through your GP?

debs40 Mon 09-Nov-09 15:44:18

Yes, and the we were referred to the community paediatrician who referred us on.

School can refer directly to the community paed too (school doctor).

it has taken nearly 30 weeks

anonandlikeit Mon 09-Nov-09 17:34:16

Well done Debs, our OT has been fantastic, I hoep your ds gets some support.

allaboutme Wed 11-Nov-09 19:45:27

Hi, sorry to interrupt, but what does the OT do? Have heard OT mentioned lots but not sure exactly what they help with?
Thanks!

debs40 Wed 11-Nov-09 20:51:45

Loads of stuff. Basically all they can offer advice and suggestions on the types of problems that affect children's daily lives. So, for example, they can advise on sensory issues, hypotonia/hypermobility, self-care, coordination, fine and gross motor skills even concentration and attention. They look at school as well as home.

I think with ASDs, their help can be really invaluable as this is the sort of stuff that can really affect a family's daily life.

claw3 Wed 11-Nov-09 23:35:20

Hi Debs40, thats great news!

OT's really do understand the sensory issues and the behaviour associated with them. Its like a breath of fresh air, finding someone who knows what you are talking about.

Good luck

allaboutme Thu 12-Nov-09 09:27:35

Thank you, that really helps!
I'm glad you got your appt. Hope its really uselful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now