Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP - how does this one sound?

(21 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Sun 08-Nov-09 19:10:41

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Sun 08-Nov-09 20:08:17

Do you need to specify how often for those, Starlight? i.e. once per session, etc.

Very clear targets. Do you think they are achievable in one go? Do you think your DS will be able to get straight to 4-6 step sequences?

DDs IEPs are all one-step. But that doesn't mean they are right.

daisy5678 Sun 08-Nov-09 20:23:37

The only thing that's missing is strategies to achieve this i.e. what will the nusery do to help him and what will you do at home to help him reach these goals.

(and that's 5 targets, really, imo! wink )

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 08-Nov-09 20:38:43

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Sun 08-Nov-09 20:39:07

Ok - unsure of your background but jumping into the lions' den here as a teacher...

At our school (special school) we like to stick to 2 or 3 targets at a time so that we have half a chance of the children being aware of them and so that we can focus specifically on a couple of areas at a time. We make a big deal of them - lots of target photos & videos so that we can really see the progress.

That's not to say that we don't have other over riding aims for the children that we keep in mind and I think that if I were given your IEP I would be grateful to know that we were working towards what you, as a parent wanted..

BUT...

I would imagine that the preschool would like your DS to have achieved this IEP's targets by Christmas and tbh, what you have written sounds pretty ambitious (not that you shouldn't be ambitious & the aims are great but targets really need to be achievable in a relatively short timeframe).

I think your social communication targets are the best as they have the most scope for being worked on at various points during the day and the preschool can put some good strategies & monitoring procedures in place.

The listening target seems particularly ambitious, unless he is only needing to be asked twice or is able to respond immediately to one particular adult.

There is A LOT in the social communication targets. I would stick with either a or b as a specific target for now & save the other for after christmas.

I can discuss this further with you if you want - let me know if that would be helpful or if I'm completely off track.

mrsjuan Sun 08-Nov-09 20:42:06

Oh ok, in the time it's taken my maternity leave brain to formulate that reply I've seen last term's targets & can see why you've written this one yourself!

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 08-Nov-09 20:47:51

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Sun 08-Nov-09 20:53:20

Yes, definitely show them the whole thing. The aims are great & it might shame them into giving more thought to more specific targets next time round.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 08-Nov-09 21:39:15

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Sun 08-Nov-09 22:12:34

Yeah - fab. Nice & clear. It's good that you've included strategies & activities - they can always build on these.

I realise that you've written the IEP to guide the pre school as it were but have you thought about how you could phrase the targets so that your DS can understand them & be reminded of them throughout the day?

Does the preschool do photo targets? We find it really useful to set up a photo of the children achieving their target so that it can be used as a visual reminder.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 08-Nov-09 22:42:07

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 07:38:31

IMO & experience you won't annoy them by being proactive. I would be pleased if a parent took that much interest in their child's education (a little intimidated perhaps but I am a wimp wink)

A quick note when you're pleased with something they've done or to thank them for working on a specific targets will go a long way to mitigate any hmm feelings anyway.

With regard to the photos - some are easier to set up than others and agree that turn taking would be tricky. I guess we'd set up a turn taking game (perhaps buckaroo or something) and get a photo of the child playing that. We always write out the target alongside the pcture to explain what it is & use simple words or symbols if the child can understand them.

Perhaps you could ask if DS's 1:1 could have a camera for a couple of days and take a 'catch him being good' type approach e.g. support him to take turns building a tower, get a photo of him doing so & lots of reinforcement - look at DS taking turns with so and so to build the tower etc. (that might be to much language wise but you get the idea)

We have the target photos displayed on the wall so it' clear to everyone working with the children what the focus needs to be. We also have a space under the photo where we can tick or the child can put a sticker or stamper every time they achieve the target so that we can see when it starts to be consistently achieved.

It sounds like you've done well to wade through all the waffle etc. Yes it is an important stage but what you do at home will have a massive impact on him too so if you can use similar strategies at home it will be easier for him to transfer the skill to preschool.

bubblagirl Mon 09-Nov-09 07:55:02

starlight really good what they did with ds is got one child to play alongside and would get in the other childs way so the child would say excuse me or again with help so my ds could see what was expected at that time and then they would make it a game child x then my ds until he was confident with use of words and when also the same with withholding crayons or track etc he would see what was expected from another child

all his learning of names and greeting etc was done through play so mimic every day things through play it was less daunting he would be put with 1 child and would have to use childs name and then when comfortable with this another child would be added

but he was also made helper with paper towels and teacher would greet each child by name and ds would hand them a paper towel so he was witnessing greetings also

he would then later when more comfortable be asked who he would like to do is daily game with and he would have to go get a child to play with

do they do now and next with him as ds responded so well he would have to do 2 tasks of there choice and then he would get to choose a reward task to put on the board

but only had few things to achieve and these were all based around play for speech and interaction

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 14:56:27

Message withdrawn

bubblagirl Mon 09-Nov-09 16:27:19

we had statement with the same affect of words small group class etc

apparently it doesnt have to state 1-1 so i was told it is worked out within the school we did manage to change a few things that were vague and got few more hours added

it is based on how they cope in school whether it be 1-1 small group or large group our class has 2 TA and 1 teacher so ds is seen on his own or small group at all times

what you need to do is contact the school he will go to and ask how they would set this out or would they need 1-1 stated our school didnt and said if he needs it he will have it they will work out the hours given and how best to use it

make sure everything is explained properly so if a stranger was to read it they would understand exactly what was being asked

also in part 2 make sure all his needs are stated as if not in part 2 they will not be in part 3 ds had nothing for danger awareness in part 2 or speech therapy so we had to get that added so the to do's in part 3 met all his needs

bubblagirl Mon 09-Nov-09 16:28:55

also its on a severity level as ds had no behavioural problems he didnt warrant full time 1-1 all lea are so different and work so different so dont be afraid to phone any help lines given and they will tell you if anything missing or needs to be changed we had 5 re writes before was ok and livable

grumpyoldeeyore Mon 09-Nov-09 21:12:53

Starlight I know you are aiming for ABA. Obviously there will be targets that have to be worked on at home and at nursery because they are so important, but be careful to try and choose some targets which are different at nursery than what you are working on at home as otherwise it will be hard to say what YOU have achieved compared to what nursery have achieved - you don't want them claiming credit for all your hard work and saying mainstream without ABA is working iyswim; so choose some things which you aren't going to work on at home so you can really measure their input. You probably also want to put the time period in - I know you said Xmas but that needs to be included in writing so a tribunal reading it back will know the target was expected to be met within 4 weeks or 8 weeks etc.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:28:35

Message withdrawn

bubblagirl Tue 10-Nov-09 07:48:13

it is very annoying starlight but sadly we have all had this battle i was re writing it myself and sending it back and they would amend the smallest part and send it back but we were eventually happy with the outsome 5 re writes later we gained 3 extra hours and the appropriates in apart 2 and 3 changed we were unable to get more as behaviourally ds is not challenging we were not in high enough bracket

good luck it is very stressful but well worth the fight i started to really get into it lol

misscutandstick Tue 10-Nov-09 18:24:43

BUBLA, wish i could "get INTO it", ours is going nowhere very slowly. sad Had 2 refusals to assess so far, it isnt going well at all.

I was just having a nosy at IEP's to see if i could pick up any useful tips. sorry for hyjack.

bubblagirl Wed 11-Nov-09 07:46:59

well getting into it was probably my fighting spirit and way of coping had many tears also but every time it came back wrong i was so determined to get it right thats what i meant not that i enjoyed every moment

sorry to hear your still having problems with yours

you can message me if you would like on sylv_25 @ hotmail .co . uk if you have any questions or if i can be of any help at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now