Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice on mobility scooter (?) for an elderly person.

(5 Posts)
SofiaAmes Fri 17-Jun-05 17:54:12

My dh offered to look online for a used mobility scooter for an elderly neighbor who is starting to have trouble walking to the local stores etc. (Dh keeps "rescuing" him with his car halfway back from the shops) The problem is that my dh knows nothing about mobility scooters and neither do I. In fact I'm not even sure if what he needs is a scooter. Does anyone know anything about this. Can you give recommendations on brands, models, approximate prices and ideas of what to look for when buying one of these used! Thanks.

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 18:09:54

have you got a shopmobility place near you? or a mobility aids shop? they might be the best bet to advise you. Or maybe ask his GP for a referal to an OT?

they are hot down here

SofiaAmes Fri 17-Jun-05 18:17:22

He went to local mobility shop and they were asking 1800 for a used one which seemed an awful lot. I looked quickly on loot and there seemed to be loads, but i have no idea of where to begin.
His wife died a few months ago and I think that she must have organized everything for him...he seems really lost and I don't think he has it in him to get info out of his gp.

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 18:28:21

they sell them here for about 750 second hand. i dont think there is that much difference in them tbh. i suppose its just how long the battery lasts for when charged etc

Davros Sun 19-Jun-05 22:49:49

Carers UK magazine usually has some 2nd hand in classified, I posted some a while ago on another thread, can't remember what it was called. Maybe google their website and ask their advice anyway?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: