Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

euro disney with autistic child?

(20 Posts)
wonderif Sat 07-Nov-09 21:51:34

does anyone have any experience my husband thinks i am mad but i want my wee girls face to light up and i know it will, if she can cope with the sensory overload.

my daughter is 6 at xmas and my other daughter is 4

we are hoping to go on the 1st december

meerkatsandkookaburras Sat 07-Nov-09 21:59:13

i havent been personally but know someone (very vaguely i should add!) who has been with an autistic ds aged 3 at time and they thought it was brilliant, one thing i seem to recall them saying was take proof of disability and mention it when booking for queue jump passes or whatever as was harder to explain to staff when their - not sure if i remembered this all right but think i have, not been myself so dont know! no use really am i lol but bump up for you anyway!

MaryBS Sat 07-Nov-09 22:01:49

My son and I have Aspergers, and we're going next weekend. If there is anything in particular thats like to bother your daughter, I can check it out for you if you like? I have sensory overload problems too, if that helps, but if I'm having a good time, its easier to cope. My son (8) doesn't like people dressed up, so we'll see how he copes with that! hmm

wonderif Sat 07-Nov-09 22:02:19

thank you yes i heard that too i wonder what proof i am not sure if i would even have a dla letter, maybe a letter from doctor.

i am hoping queues wont be too bad being mid week

wonderif Sat 07-Nov-09 22:04:20

marybs thats fantastic it would be great just to see how you both get on.

my daughter isnt good with loud noises and i dont think she will be great with costumes wither to be honest, she hates toilets which could prove a problem, unless the disabled toilets will be accessible for her.

yes please let me know how you get on

thanks so much

meerkatsandkookaburras Sat 07-Nov-09 22:06:31

just another thought but do you have a radar key?? dont know if they use them over there but if they do might be worth buying for disabled toilets to save asking for one etc?? can buy them from fledglings i believe for about £4 i think

wonderif Sat 07-Nov-09 22:12:47

no i dont , dont think we use them here in northern ireland either but might be worth a look thanks for that

it sounds silly but even in her school the teacher has told me she doesnt like theirs and she hates hand dryers so will just take gel with me i think

madwomanintheattic Sat 07-Nov-09 23:47:49

you just have to take your dla award letter to the reception place on main street, and they will give you a pass. it varies from ride to ride as to how many people are allowed to bypass the queue (it tells you on the pass), but if it is just your immediate family there should be no problems. (we had an assorted extended family trip and everyone was arguing on who was going to go on the rides with dd2 so they didn't have to queue. grin)

we had a lovely time (except two of us came down with norovirus and spent 48 hours uncontrollably vomiting and worse - don't use the swimming pool if you stay at the hotel with the pirate ship...

dd2 was utterly obsessed by the buzz lightyear ride, and i suspect there is no way on this earth she will ever go anywhere near tunnel mountain again... grin

we used the disabled toilets - they are all over the place and no keys needed.

have a great time!

wonderif Sun 08-Nov-09 08:45:17

oh thats great thanks i will have to see if i kept my diagnosis letter if not would a a letter from the doctor b enough do you think.

sorry you got sick we are only going for 2 nights/3 days so hope no of us get ill.

staying in very basic hotel so no pool

MumOfThreeMonkeys Sun 08-Nov-09 09:38:03

I went last year with my 3 kids dd asd was aged 4 and we had a brilliant time, we had a fast track pass which meant very little queing, it was march when we went and was very very very cold. so just as a warning wear plenty of layers. you can hire buggys at the front gate which was good and we bought her a big fleece blanket so she was snug as a bug. she loved all the rides. have to say that the food was a big problem (crap), everything was covered in sugar or chocolate. dd lived on bread rolls and yogurt smile

MumOfThreeMonkeys Sun 08-Nov-09 09:44:21

btw im from northern ireland to grin, not many of us on here!

wonderif Sun 08-Nov-09 11:35:12

thanks mumofthree monkeys thanks

yeh doesnt seem to be many of us on here lol

did you get fastrack because of the asd ?

we r going in december so it will be bitter i know my chum went last year and said she had to buy extra layers as it was so cold and she is french.

r u able to get milk and stuff she likes milk for bed but we have her on goats milk but she doesnt like the carton stuff.

can i ask which hotel u stayed in?

MumOfThreeMonkeys Sun 08-Nov-09 11:58:20

we stayed in the disney newport bay hotel, the hotel wasnt all that you would expect, bit shabby but we had no complaints, the fast track passes are included with that hotel. There is a shop beside the train ststion just at the entrance to the park where you can buy milk and stuff dunno about goats milk. we ordered hot chocolate to the room every night it came in a thermos flask and there was enough for the five of us and the hotel did not charge us! which was a surprise.

devientenigma Sun 08-Nov-09 14:20:36

Although my son is not primarily autistic, we had intervals where we went back to our car to calm.
He doesn't like characters dressed up but was fine with the ones he liked at a distance, or for photo opportunities him in his wheelchair and them beside or behind. then again this was the 3rd time he'd been.
He still can't tolerate any shows or parades. As for queues the pass with your dla/blue badge evidence will get you this. It also works for meeting the characters also, just go to the exit for both rides and characters.
We also use these
[[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D0YI7M/ref=s9sima_gw_s5_p86_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd s=center-1&pfrd_r=0DAWSRZJYRCTAS7WWPDM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rdi=468294]]
HTH, have fun x

devientenigma Sun 08-Nov-09 14:21:17

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D0YI7M/ref=s9_sima_gw_s5_p86_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=cente r-1&pf_rd_r=0DAWSRZJYRCTAS7WWPDM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294
sorry link didn't work hope it has now. lol

MaryBS Sun 08-Nov-09 15:13:17

We don't have DLA or a blue badge, so were just going to go as we are. Decided it would be too confusing to try to sort out, and DS can queue.

Have thought about ear defenders, but neither of us like anything touching our ears like that, not even earplugs!

wonderif Sun 08-Nov-09 15:19:08

thanks so much for feedback its great my daughter wouldnt wear the ear defenders but good idea, she isnt on higher rate dla so have no blue badge

i think a hotel with a pool would be good and very calming but we r looking at sante fe very basic 350 for 4 of us and thats food and tickets to pk, and i mean as long as room is clean i dont mind.

devientenigma Sun 08-Nov-09 16:58:00

Just like to add my son doesn't like anything touching his head lol you want to see the state of his hair as he won't get it cut. However the wearing of those must be more bearable than the noise. Although recurrent pneumonia must outweigh wearing a hat.

wonderif Mon 09-Nov-09 14:03:28

might be worth a go then and they r not bad price either.

thanks

rosie39forever Mon 09-Nov-09 15:03:38

Hi , I have taken my dd who has autism to disney 3 times and she absolutely loves it. 1st week in december would be a good time to go as all the christmas stuff will be going on but is still off peak. You will need to get an easy access pass which will allow you to enter the attractions through the exit so you dont have to queue for long it also allows you in to the disabled area for the parade which is a god send as the crowds are massive and also means that you dont have to queue to meet the characters, you can also use your pass to catch the disney train around the park without having to wait in the crowd, just show your pass to member of staff and they will tell you where to go. To get your pass you will either need a blue badge or a brief letter from your childs GP or paed stating their disability and that they would find it hard to queue, take your letter to the town hall just inside the park an they will give you a pass for the duration of your stay. We've stayed in the New York, Sequoia lodge and the Newport Bay and have found it handy to be able to pop back in the afternoon to chill or go for a swim as it can be very full on, Enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now