Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Testing for allergies and hyperactivity

(3 Posts)
Clare123 Sat 07-Nov-09 08:02:47

Hi, I am struggling with my son's hyperactivity. He is only 2.4 so it's probably just being a toddler, but his behaviour can really deteriate at times - acting almost wild. He can be very boisterous and nothing I say can calm him down - running into things, shouting, throwing things, etc. I don't give him junk food, but I still have a feeling his behaviour is food related, because at other times he is absolutely fine.

Does anyone know where I could get him checked? I was thinking an alternative medicine clinic?

Or on the otherhand, what are the more common foods that can trigger hyperactivity?

HelensMelons Sat 07-Nov-09 09:49:15

Hi Clare

I had my two ds's allergy tested at a health clinic - it was a waste of money really - they highlighted certain foods to stay away from, particularly sweetners (aspartame, etc)- (in our case).

I still had to go and get them formally dx through the paediatric dept in our local hospital. Referral through our GP.

The formal allergy testing could highlight all sorts of things - ds2 (asd/adhd) is actually allergic to nothing and dd3 dust/cats.

DS2's adhd dx is fairly recent and I signed up for a 10 week parenting group to see if there was anything I could learn and meet other mums. I am now on week 7 and it has been really, really good fun, great to meet other mums and I have learned much more than I would have thought.

Toddlers are a handful - are there any parenting groups near you? or perhaps you would consider seeing your GP?

PipinJo Sat 07-Nov-09 12:28:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now