Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ed Psych. what do they do?

(11 Posts)
debs40 Fri 06-Nov-09 20:34:45

I have been speaking to the community paed about DS's problems with school (first and useless IEP - target make eye contact, stop licking hands, do morning routine by self - no strategies to achieve it).

She said she will talk to EP for advice and maybe having a school meeting. What do they do precisely?? I assume they don't diagnose? Do they assess needs? Aren't they likely just to play it all down too so school don;t have to do anythign?

mysonben Fri 06-Nov-09 20:56:44

Had EP coming to ds's nursery (last tuesday) following referal from senco re: behaviours at nursery.
EP first spoke to DS'teacher, then observe him and joined him into his play.

I don't believe she did any specific assessement, simply tried to interact with DS , observe ,...

Then we had a meeting when she had finished (teacher was there too), she reported what she had observed and what she thought of DS.
She asked to see IEP , and changed a couple of things on it.
Questions about behaviours at home re: rituals, play,...
Finally she said she would refer ds to 'saucepans' (which is part of CAMHS)as they have a social/communication group which would benefit us in terms of guidance.
She wants everyone involved with DS, paed, senco, language unit to liaise with her.
And wants to see us again in 6 months to see what sort of progress DS has made with speech and social skills, and to review his needs before starting school in september.

She said she would write a report and send it to everyone.

mysonben Fri 06-Nov-09 21:10:49

Sorry , i don't think i answered your question as i meant to blush

I think EP go to the school setting , (unsure if they go to the home as well?) and observe, assess, identify issues and problems, refer on if needs be, and are also involved with statementing assesment.
I don't think they give dx, a lot of people on here say they don't, but it is certain their opinion and reports count for something when decisions are taken bt other professionals.

WetAugust Fri 06-Nov-09 21:13:41

EPs usually have a degree in psychology and a teaching qualification.

They don't diagnose - they just observe and suggest strategies that will assist.

They have a whole range of assessment tests they can perform to measure a child's academic / social / cognitive ability.

debs40 Fri 06-Nov-09 21:19:38

Thanks. That is helpful. Would the school call them in or can a parent?

Is this different to an assessment for a statement?

DS's old teacher last year (who is the SENCO) mentioned 'flagging' DS up to the EP but didn't say anything about it when we saw him last week.

I think he wanted to avoid stepping on teachers' toes and left them to show us the IEP and talk through it. It had no strategies on it though and they don't seem to have any ideas for getting him to do the things they want him to.

wasuup3000 Fri 06-Nov-09 21:54:56

It is not an assessment for a statement. Have a look at your counties website they really are supposed to have this info easily available. In my area parents can not refer. The class teacher has to flag your child up with her concerns to the SENco. Then the SENco will usually go from there with it.

anonandlikeit Fri 06-Nov-09 21:58:18

debs, the senco should be working with his current teacher to agree the IEP targets & strategies/support to achieve them.

It sounds like (& from your other posts) that your school has some leadership/sen/management issues.

Before the Ed psych assesses your ds the school should be clear what they want to achieve & they need to communicate this to you.
Are they asking for full psychometric evaluation? Behavioural assessment? Support strategies?
Are they looking for onward referal?

There doesn't sound to be much structure to the support that the school are providing?

Have you requested an stat assessment.

lou031205 Fri 06-Nov-09 22:07:24

debs40 <not stalking smile

The EP can see your child as part of School Action Plus. They are likely to visit to try and establish what barriers to learning your child experiences, and how those can be overcome.

But the main thing you need to know, especially with your other thread, is that You are in control here. You have the authority to request a Statutory Assessment, and if you do you have right of appeal.

You have evidence that your DS is not having his needs met. Inappropriate IEPs are great evidence.

If you do request Statutory Assessment, and your LA agrees to assess, the Ed Psych will automatically be required to produce a report to the statememting team.

So the short answer is that the Ed Psych visit is different to assessment for a statement, but will certainly form part of it if one is started.

debs40 Fri 06-Nov-09 22:14:09

I haven't asked for a Stat Ass. I think it might be the way to go. I am going to speak to the community paed again next week after she has spoken with the EP. She is really helpful and the one person I've been able to turn to for help in all this... apart from you super duper ladies wink

anonandlikeit Fri 06-Nov-09 22:22:23

debs, have you had a look at the ACE website, they produce leaflets (Ithink they may be available on-line)
They take you through step by step of the statement process & give an explanation of who does what.
Worth a look!

daisy5678 Fri 06-Nov-09 22:34:58

Hmmm...EP here was able to make a lot of comments about J, but they were largely based on what I and nursery/ school staff has said. Apart from that, the 3 EPs J has had have administered a number of tests, which told us that he had severe behavioural problems (could have told them that hmm) and that he was of good intelligence. A few useful strategies suggested for home and school but nothing earth-shattering. Also, the first 2 EPs, who both saw J numerous times, totally missed any suggestion of autism and I am shock that the one who was most recently involved did not have the grace to look embarassed when I last saw him.

So I don't have the highest opinion of EPs. They managed to note the behaviour, lack of eye contact and the lack of social skills but make no suggestion that ASD should be investigated. Oh, and their suggestions are always made with the local authority's budget in mind, which means they're less than impartial...

J's first assessment was at age 3 as well. She came to the house and talked and played with him. Then went to nursery and did the same. She was very nice; I just feel a bit let down by the numerous people who saw us and never thought to consider why J behaved as he did.

No, they don't dx, but really bloody should raise questions or give indications about what dx should be looked at by the people who do dx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now