Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

You could have knocked me down with a feather...

(16 Posts)
sphil Thu 05-Nov-09 20:18:31

Was intending to take DS1 to a local firework display tonight, leaving noise-sensitive DS2 with DH at home. DH late back from govs meeting, DS1 REALLY keen to go, so I thought 'what the hell', bundled them both up, grabbed the ear defenders and went, warning DS1 all the way that we would have to come straight back if DS2 was frightened.

DS2 bloody loved itgrin. I have honestly never seen such pure, unalloyed joy on his face - we met up with some friends and they couldn't take their eyes off him. He wore the ear defenders for the first five minutes, then ripped them off and gave them to me. His face was tipped right back to the sky - and then he turned round and watched them upside down! Every time there was a short break he pointed to the sky and said 'open!' (his default word for anything he doesn't know how to say).

It has taught me a big lesson - never assume I know him entirely and can second guess what he will like or dislike. And not to be so timid in introducing him to new experiences smile

linglette Thu 05-Nov-09 20:22:29

smile

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 05-Nov-09 20:23:17

that is fantastic Sphil! I had same thing, my asd DS loved every single firework, yet sometimes covers his ears for small sounds which I can hardly notice. I wonder if it just comes and goes, or if it's just a way of switching off, ie they only cover ears when they need time out? After all, even I found the fireworks quite painfully noisy at times, so it can't be painful on loud sounds. What a mysterious condition autism is!

thederkinsdame Thu 05-Nov-09 20:25:24

Fantastic! Kids never fail to surprise us, do they? My DS loved them too, so we are thinking of braving a display... But he hates crowds, too, so I'm still wibbling!

chinchi Thu 05-Nov-09 20:33:58

Great stuff! Am glad you all had a great evening.

Barmymummy Thu 05-Nov-09 20:36:06

Thats brilliant! Am taking DS to a display tomorrow with DD & DH and will hope for the same results as you grin

busybeingmum Fri 06-Nov-09 09:35:38

Message withdrawn

Pixel Fri 06-Nov-09 13:47:51

Ds used to hate fireworks too but we went to a display with him in his Major buggy (in case we needed a quick getaway!). I expected him to howl the place down but he was fascinated.

Last night we had a few fireworks in the garden and he sat on a chair with his hands over his ears and an enormous grin on his face.smile

BriocheDoree Fri 06-Nov-09 14:46:19

That's great!
Wanted to take DD to one (there aren't that many in France, just a few organised by expats!!) as I thought she's probably up to it now, but didn't know what to do with DS (NT, but only 2, so likely to be very scared!).
Will have to try and be over in UK next year as I'm sure DD will love it now - was scared of noise when she was younger but is now likely to be fascinated by pretty lights and loves crowds (little sensory-seeker!!)

thederkinsdame Sat 07-Nov-09 20:59:32

Well, we went and he loved it. We were well prepared with distractors (light up ones ;-) and ear defenders and watched the quieter kiddie display in thre ground, then watched the louder ones by the car, as he was getting a bit stressed by the crowd. He loved them so we consider the evening a big success!

busybeingmum Sat 07-Nov-09 21:04:59

Message withdrawn

thederkinsdame Sat 07-Nov-09 21:50:14

That's great, busy, a successful night for both of us :-)

busybeingmum Sat 07-Nov-09 22:32:11

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Sat 07-Nov-09 22:33:12

Message withdrawn

jackny Sat 07-Nov-09 23:14:32

We went to a Fireworks display tonight and my DS 3.5yrs was frightened. He is fascinated by the bright lights and colours but can't cope with the noise. He seems to have real issues with sound / noise. We went to Eco park at MK and they had plastic dinosaurs which "roared' and again he couldn't cope. Should we continue to expose him to loud noises to desensitize him? Any advice appreciated.

thederkinsdame Sun 08-Nov-09 09:33:53

Ear defenders are fab. This is just my opinion, but I think it's best to try to expose kids with ASD in a controlled way i.e. ear defenders, visual aids to prepare them beforehand, and short exposure the first time (leave on a high and leave early!) There is a therapy you can do called AIT (Auditory Integrateion Therapy) but I don;t know much about it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now