Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Countdown to proposed statement day.....

(42 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 21:59:54

Message withdrawn

WetAugust Wed 04-Nov-09 22:07:30

Nah Starlight - it's guaranteed to arrive on Friday. They always do so that you've got the weekend to calm down before being able to contact the tossers!

Both my son's Statements arrived on Fridays.

MumofOscar Wed 04-Nov-09 22:16:58

Hiya Starlight. New here but just wanted to say good luck with it!! Mine arrived on a friday too if i remember rightly and the wonderful ed psych who made x amount of mistakes helpfully retired before i could shout at him!!! LOL. All worked out ok in the end though so hay ho. x

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:17:18

Message withdrawn

WetAugust Wed 04-Nov-09 22:19:52

You didn't honestly expect the sods to miss a trick like that did you?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:19:53

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:21:17

Message withdrawn

MumofOscar Wed 04-Nov-09 22:25:57

LOL Starlight promise I'm new. Just joined tonight. x

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:27:51

Message withdrawn

MumofOscar Wed 04-Nov-09 22:37:22

Well it was a lovely welcome anyway
DS is 5 - just started school this sept so got his statement just before then. He went to a mainstream pre school but now in a special school which is fantastic. How old is your child? Have you been waiting long for the statement? x

Militanttendancy Wed 04-Nov-09 22:47:22

Hi Starlight! I hope yours is better than mine!

It is unmitigated cr@p!! Have taken advice and have been told that it is actually unlawful, as it does not specify or quantify the special needs provision.

It misquotes the professional reports out of context, and in some places, it is just wrong!

Good luck!

PS Mine arrived on a Friday too... I normally get letters that make me angry on a Saturday morning, when the offices are closed and I have all weekend to seethe with anger until I can get hold of someone on Monday!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:50:54

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Thu 05-Nov-09 09:46:12

Starlight, how long was your PA, if you don't mind me asking? I am in Hants & LA sent a booklet telling me what to put in it, but so far I am on section 2 & I have already typed 5 pages - there are 10 sections shock

I can't imagine them wanting to wade through a 20 page PA, but DD is affected in some way in almost every area, so if I do it as they ask it will be long.

WetAugust Thu 05-Nov-09 12:39:44

I did 36 x A4 pages, typed, of PA.

lou031205 Thu 05-Nov-09 12:56:18

Oh that's reassuring, WetAugust. I have already reduced the font size blush but will press on - I know how important it is.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 05-Nov-09 13:01:47

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Thu 05-Nov-09 13:29:27

Thanks, Starlight! lou031205 at googlemail dot com.

Hants give a very comprehensive list of what they want. E.g. 'Physical Skill' includes rolling, crawling, walking, running, climbing stairs, fine motor, scribbling, drawing, writing, etc.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 05-Nov-09 15:38:36

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:40:00

Unfortunately, DD has difficulties with most areas in some way or another sad

grumpyoldeeyore Fri 06-Nov-09 20:58:59

Our decision is due the Friday at the end of term and despite telling everyone don't please send me the letter the last day of term before Xmas I know thats when it will arrive and it will say we're not giving you a statement here's a note in lieu. They've ruined the past 6 months can't see them missing the chance of spoiling Xmas!

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 07-Nov-09 11:23:56

Message withdrawn

debs40 Sat 07-Nov-09 11:50:47

Oooooh, the waiting must be awful. Hope it comes when it is supposed to tomorrow

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 07-Nov-09 12:04:43

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 14:29:34

Message withdrawn

WetAugust Mon 09-Nov-09 17:59:13

Starlight Try to negoiate with the LEA but don't waste too much time or effort on it. My solicitor told me that for SENDIST purposes i had to be seen to be trying to reach an accommodation with the LEA - even though in my case too we new it was impossible.

Just lodge your disagreement in writing with the LEA within 15 days and take a big red pen to their proposed statement and write your own version. Unless ABA provision is recommended by one of the professionals whose advice is in the Appendices the LEA will be unlikely to add ABA into the Statement - even though your own PA recomends it and they are supposed to give eual weight to all opinions, including parental advice.

If they refuse to accept your own amednments then ask for the Final Statement (in writing) stating that you do not agree with the LEAs proposals and have only reluctantly asked for a Final Statement to enable you to appeal to SENDIST.

That should focus their minds.

Bad luck it was crap - but you expected that. Still makes me angry though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now