Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

CAn anyone tell me if I should be looking into his further?

(9 Posts)
pickupthismess Mon 02-Nov-09 23:07:59

DS is nearly 6. He was a premmie and is flat footed and is not at all physical. He is also I have to confess just a little bit 'odd' although incredibly sweet natured.

He doesn't mix well with peers and I have put it down to his inability to keep up with boys' rough and tumble etc. Recently he has been diagnosed as dyspraxicand that does tie into soem of his issues. But more and more I am concerned about is his absolute non stop chatting.

Sorry if thisn't doesn't sound very special needs but when I say non-stop I mean it. He stops for no man or woman. I see he annoys teachers, my friends, his little brother and other children. He doesn't let anyone get a word in and even when people are focussed on something else he just talks at them without pause.

He is very bright and full of ideas but all are delivered at top volume in an endless stream of consciousness. Tonight he talked for several hours (often focussing back on the very same subject) without stopping. This sounds ridiculous but he actually drove me to tears because I couldn't get him to shut up and he kept repeating himself - I couldn't hear myself think.

Where previously I just said he's a chatterbox and will grow out of it I am beginning to think this is not v normal . He is also very very highly strung and what with the dyspraxia, I am wondering if there is some underlying issue I need to deal with. Has anyone got any words of advice?sad

Barmymummy Tue 03-Nov-09 09:24:08

bumping for you smile

holly2000 Tue 03-Nov-09 11:32:30

that sounds a lot like my friends son with aspergers! He also has dispraxia..
My daughter has classic autism and hypotonia.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 03-Nov-09 13:25:47

Message withdrawn

troutpout Tue 03-Nov-09 13:48:47

yes..i think it is worth investigating further too.
Is the chatting about a particular obsession of his?
You could ask your gp for a referral
Good luck smile

PheasantPlucker Tue 03-Nov-09 13:56:07

I think that children who were born very prematurely (how prem was your ds?) can have a lack of control over spontaneity as a result. It can be a very typical trait.

However, sometimes it can be other things too, as the other ladies here have suggested.

Do you still have any connection with the Consultants who originally cared for him in the NNU that you could informally chat with, and ask if they could make a suggestion/referral? Otherwise, prob best to get referred via your GP, as it definitely seems worth investigating further.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

mumslife Tue 03-Nov-09 14:18:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pickupthismess Tue 03-Nov-09 14:41:16

Thank you. I felt a bit guilty this morning about posting because he was such a sweetie and really quiet. He has periods of calm but as the day progresses so does his chat and his volume. He was 34 weeks and is small and v innocent (not at all street wise like some of the other boys in his class). We do still see a consultant but that is about his physical needs.

Please tell me more about aspergers. Can it be mild? How does it manifest itself in talking?

holly2000 Wed 04-Nov-09 07:12:38

Any person on the spectrum can be mild. Aspergers tends to be a difficulty with friendships, as in not realising everyone is not interested in the same subjects you are and going on and on about the same thing! There is a lot more so perhaps try looking up aspergers online. The National Autistic society UK has lots & lots of correct info.
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now