Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

bottom wiping

(4 Posts)
sphil Mon 02-Nov-09 20:12:44

Those of you with DCs who are toilet trained - can I ask a question?

What do you do about bottom wiping if your child is non-verbal or minimally verbal? We are trying to toilet train DS2 for poo (see my other thread) but he doesn't have the motor skills to be able to wipe his own bottom. He does speak but never calls out or gets our attention by using our names, so if/when he does poo on the loo independently he won't ask us to wipe him.

I'd be interested to hear how others got round this problem?

TotalChaos Mon 02-Nov-09 20:26:30

best I can suggest is developing a bit of a 6th sense for when toilet visits are so long that a poo must be involved iyswim, then asking some very pointed yes/no questions or if that doesn't get answered going in to check

anonandlikeit Mon 02-Nov-09 21:13:16

Luckily our loo is downstairs so very easy for us to be on poo alert!
We still have to wipe for ds2, he doesn't ask. If we aren't there quick enough he will have a go himself, i know i should encourage independance but its all too messy iykwim.

Would he enjoy ringing a bell or blowing horn when he has poo'd? Kind of a reward & giving you a warning.

sphil Mon 02-Nov-09 21:59:44

I did think about a buzzer but i think he'd just buzz it all the time! Might try it though. Mind you, we've got to get the poo in the toilet first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now