Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Pointing

(8 Posts)
fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 02-Nov-09 14:55:24

DD (just turned 3) is still undergoing diagnosis. I am pretty sure she WILl be diagnosed with ASD as she has the triad of impairments.

However, she does have developmental delay and hypotonia (didnt walk until 2 etc). Her speech is very delayed.

She has just started to point. I am getting everything pointed out to me with a perfect pointy finger, as never before, and if we see a bus she will point and say "there is a bus".

Is this something that children with ASD do eventually, just later. Or could she just have a developmental delay (I know this is an 18 month milestone)?

It's just confusing, I didn't expect so much pointing to happen suddenly.

cyberseraphim Mon 02-Nov-09 14:57:52

My DS1 (ASD) has always pointed, indicative and proto declarative - it's just that the range and the purpose is limited to interests/obsessions. I think there is a lot of misinformation about this pointing issue. But yes acheiving the milestone late may in itself indicate ASD.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 02-Nov-09 15:01:25

Thanks. smile

I thought this would be the case.

I do still think we will get the formal diagnosis, but I suppose I will just look upon the pointing as a positive thing and a sign that she is improving a bit. smile

It's just confusing due to all her delays. She will be having blood tests to see if she has a chromosome/genetic disorder and I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

mysonben Mon 02-Nov-09 15:17:02

Yes DS 4 , asd, now points at a lot of things such as constant pointing of cars and motorbikes with a 'look... motorbike, mummy!'.
However, at age 18 months or so he didn't point , by age 2 still no spontanous pointing, we 'taught him' how to point.
But his pointing isn't always clear, i mean he often uses his whole hand or curl his fingers while pointing.
Again pointing in asd kids can varie, but usually it seems pointing is delayed.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 02-Nov-09 15:20:48

Thanks..yes, she doesnt always point clearly, but the pointing finger is definitely emerging!!

she likes to point US out at the moment "there's mummy", "it's daddy, it's a MAN" is a big favourite too! smile

busybeingmum Mon 02-Nov-09 15:46:46

Message withdrawn

linglette Mon 02-Nov-09 16:13:23

That's terrific that your DD has started to point with an index finger. I didn't notice DS2 much at the relevant ages but remember a hand-gesture point at around 2, then index finger pointing around 3 like your DD.

At 4, we've truly cracked it as he's now doing the point-and-look-behind-you-to-see-if-mummy-can-see-it-too thing and you know what? He does it just as well, and conveys just as much information, and learns as much, as all the other 4-year-olds who've been doing it from 18 months. It's a foundational skill, and that little bit of the foundations is now complete and the building is that bit steadier. It makes me really happy to see it - an endless source of pleasure.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 02-Nov-09 16:41:04

I am so pleased linglette as I have been following your DS' story and he sounds like he is doing SO well, I hope DD can do as well as him!!!

busybeingmum - I agree, DD is ahead in some things (drawing, letters) and well behind in others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now