Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hello

(25 Posts)
shazzie Thu 16-Jun-05 07:58:58

Hi,
Ive got 2 kids, DS 8 1/2 with ASD, dyslexia and dyspraxia and daughter 5 being assessed for ADHD. DS goes to a mainstream school, and after a fight with the LEA, they have agreed to do a statutory assessment. Did somebody mention David Phillips from IPSEA? He has been helping me, and he is great(lovely voice!) Have been gearing myself up for tribunal, but dont need to go now, and have withdrawn my appeal. I live in West Sussex, and I feel quite isolated at the moment, so I hope I can make a few friends here.

Socci Thu 16-Jun-05 08:26:06

Message withdrawn

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 13:49:17

Good luck with the statementing Socci, hope it goes without any hitches.

macwoozy Fri 17-Jun-05 14:07:08

Hi shazzie, I have a 5 yr old ds who has ASD, he's in mainstream.

Beware MN is addictive, I've only been here several months or so but now I can't walk past the computer anymore without having a look to see what others are up to.

dinosaur Fri 17-Jun-05 15:47:23

Hi shazzie, I don't post on here much now, but have a nearly-six year old with a diagnosis of HFA.

David Phillips was going to help us with our appeal too - but we withdrew it also, so I never actually met him, just spoke to him on the phone. Very nice and helpful.

shey Fri 17-Jun-05 15:57:26

Sorry to barge in but I just wondered why you might pull out of an appeal for a statement. I am just at the beginning of the process at the moment? Is it ok to ask?

amynnixmum Fri 17-Jun-05 16:19:59

Hi Shazzie,

My DS 4 1/2 has been assessed but as yet does not have a diagnosis. He displays quite a few behaviours that are associated with ADHD and we are beginning now to realise that he also has quite a few aspergers tendancies too.

He has just got a statement and reading this board I realise just how lucky we are that he has been given one.

He started school last sept but had so many problems we had to take him out. He is starting again in reception this sept and at the moment things are looking really positive

Good luck with the statementing Socci.

Jayzmummy Fri 17-Jun-05 17:13:44

That was me....David Phillips is a blooming marvel...he got us exactly what we wanted.

Im mom to J, 9, Autism, Semantic-Pragmatic, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and a whole host of other labels.Also mom to R,NT, 11....although going on 18!!!!
And "big mom" to jayzdaddy...who has "man flu" at the moment and is a bigger kid than both my boys put together!!!!

Welcome to SN. Look forward to hearing your news.

TheRealMrsF Fri 17-Jun-05 17:50:58

welcome!
I am mum to 3 boys- 8 Leigh and 11 Tom-diagnosed with Aspergers (tom also has ADHD)...and then there's alex (age 6) whom i'm sure has AS too.

Between us MumsNetters - we cover a whole range of Special needs....so ask us anything...and everything...YOU are NOT aloneXXX

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 18:12:06

hello

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 19:09:01

Thanks guys, thats a lovely welcome. I have been feeling alone, mainly because of writing letters, reports, and endless phonecallsnot much in common with my old mates, am slowly starting to drift away from all except one who has tried her best to understand. The LEA refused the statutory assessment at the beginning of the year, and Ive had an independant educational psychologist do an assessment on DS, a meeting where they said no again, set the date for tribunal, and the Head said she would come with me, then LEA finally agreed to assess him, so just at the start of the statementing process, and already knackered!

David P has helped with all the reasons for appeal, and the case statement, and just generally kept me going. I just sent him a thankyou card, but doesnt seem nearly enough.

Sax Fri 17-Jun-05 19:34:33

Can you be more specific in WS without saying where exactly, maybe just the nearest town if you like?

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 19:41:36

worthing

Sax Fri 17-Jun-05 19:47:35

JUst tried to CAT you Shazzie, you may need to turn on your willing to cat if you want to receive private emails, just got a useful link for you! No worries if you don't want to! Just being friendly.

Merlot Fri 17-Jun-05 20:01:16

Hi and Welcome

I'm mum to two boys - my eldest is NT and 8 years, my youngest is 21 months and developmentally delayed, but without dx yet.

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 20:25:30

sax, try now.
Hi Merlot

Sax Fri 17-Jun-05 20:38:51

shazzie , any luck or didn't you get my CAT???

monica2 Fri 17-Jun-05 21:05:01

Hi shazzie welcome to mn there are some amazing mums on here who are very knowledgable and supportive, I have dd 9 AS and ds 6 nt, I live 15 mins away from you (but come under East Sussex) Good luck with the statementing process.

MABS Fri 17-Jun-05 21:25:50

hiya, i'm an SN mum too, and i'm in Shoreham so very near to you. Can you make the Brighton meet up in August? And the rest of you, you around then?

Sax Fri 17-Jun-05 21:27:18

too shy me!!! sorry!

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 21:30:38

Id love to!

YogiYahooey Fri 17-Jun-05 21:31:16

Hi Shazzie, you are in good company here.
I have 3 children, my ds2 has a severe speech and lang delay and starts mainstream in Sept.
I am anxious about his start even though I know his teacher well and that he has been statemented.

shazzie Fri 17-Jun-05 21:32:57

Sax, sorry was putting DD to bed, have replied now, hope you got message.
xxx

monica2 Fri 17-Jun-05 21:35:31

Hi MABS good to hear from you , I am around in August is there a date yet? How's the S and L going with the dreaded SALT!! Did we miss a vodka night whilst we were away?

MABS Fri 17-Jun-05 21:38:52

Hi Monica2, If there was a vodka nt - I missed it too as was in Dubai. Don't talk to me about the SALT, she is F**KIN USELESS!! Brighton Meet up is 5 August,there is a thread in meet ups - come on Sax and Shazzie - it'd be great to meet you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now