Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Your Haloween???

(15 Posts)
mysonben Sun 01-Nov-09 12:46:14

How did it go for you?

DS (4, asd) allowed me to dress him up as a little ghost smile, just long enough to go round a few of the neighbours houses. Great! Only thing is he didn't say 'trick or treat' once...so had to say it for him. Had to thank people for sweets too, as DS remained silent.
Then we went to sil village's party, DS was bothered by the loud music at first and was holding his ears for a while, then he screamed the place down as he wouldn't put his ghost cape back on, so didn't enter the best dressed kid competition...instead he was pressing the buttons at the fruit machine!!! grin
Never mind he still enjoyed himself looking at the lights and jumping up and down on the dancefloor!

GentleOtter Sun 01-Nov-09 12:56:11

Ours turned out to be fun despite dh and I having some kind of lurgy.

Dd carved the pumpkin herself, with the filleting knife shock, we ducked for apples, ate treacle pancakes and toffee apples then the children went on a sweet hunt around the house.
It was pouring with rain so they did not go guising. It was good fun so we are doing it again today. <hides filleting knife>

mysonben Sun 01-Nov-09 13:27:44

Oh and DS has found a new love... a haloween rubber rat with a longggg stretchy tail! New found sensory toy it would seem...grin

logi Sun 01-Nov-09 13:32:06

My son wouldnt go out he put a wizard coat on for 5 secs and he drew on his face a little bit (face paint) first time ever.
He answered the door to trick n treaters but didnt speak to them lol,my granddaughter came over and they played a few games.
Then the last treater at the door (a dad with his son) said he liked our decorations but asked what happened to our pumpkin...some b***d had smashed it our son hasnt asked where it is yet,whats the matter with people today.
Just as well i didnt catch them i guess...

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 01-Nov-09 13:50:29

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:59:34

Message withdrawn

sphil Sun 01-Nov-09 19:10:57

I went trick or treating with DS1 and we had Halloween food but it all passes DS2 by, though for the first time this year he was showing some awareness - he knows it means going out in the dark and sweets! Might set a few neighbours up with suitable sweets next year so that he can have a go. Caught him nibbling the glace icing off DS1's Rice Krispie eyeballs this morning as well.

linglette Sun 01-Nov-09 19:19:36

"he wouldn't put his ghost cape back on, so didn't enter the best dressed kid competition...instead he was pressing the buttons at the fruit machine!!!"

Sensible chap if I may say so.

mysonben Sun 01-Nov-09 19:33:30

It is obvious that DS doesn't graps the full meaning of Haloween, or birthdays or even Xmas.
But with each passing year he understands a little more so i have high hopes that in a couple of years he will 'get it'...although that doesn't mean he will be all excited and enthousiastic about it all. Time will tell...

mysonben Sun 01-Nov-09 19:41:26

Yep Linglette, DS couldn't care less about the competition,(i' m sure he didn't even realise what the fuss was about!) pressing buttons was far more interesting! grin

busybeingmum Sun 01-Nov-09 19:45:44

Message withdrawn

momijigari Sun 01-Nov-09 23:17:43

ds liked the pumpkins, wore his Egyptian mummy outfit we made him, even let us bandage his head a little bit, loved being out in the dark, told his joke a few times and said thank you when prompted - success here then.

I don't think he "gets" Halloween, but just participating is good.

ouryve Sun 01-Nov-09 23:24:07

DS1 put on his glow in the dark skeleton pyjamas for one last time before we put them in the too small box, but apart from that, we didn't make a big thing of it.

linglette Mon 02-Nov-09 10:08:31

I think these occasions test our self-confidence as parents. Do we have the confidence to follow our child's lead (where reasonable) or do we succumb to the idea that they "ought" to be bobbing for apples, etc.

jasdox Tue 03-Nov-09 15:18:12

just got back from ireland, visiting sis and haloween. sort of joined in the games, haloween bingo, hide and seek, not the hand in the bucket. outside, loved the sparklers and the glow stick and just run round rather than understand, tag.

well think it went well, took all powers of persuasion to get him into his vampire costume (well a cape and semi-waistjacket), not the mask. not to bad with others costumes, took exception to a green witch mask, screamed and ran away every time she came near, she thought it was a game!. my sis were taking the LOs trick treating whilst i looked after ds2 and answered the door. Apparently he did ok, the others all ran to the door, but she walked with him and he followed her instructions to open his bag and say thanks. then the rains came and he was brill and ran back with them all. then back home, all the others were investigating there haul, he just said 'my tv'. so took him upstairs, put him in his jams and tv on. then he smiled, gave me a kiss and said i like haloween smilehmm

he had (still has) a terrible cough, so not v. well, was v. clingly the rest of the time. hid under the chair when went to the farm, or covered his ears. luckily sis was really good with him, now the girls, well not sure how we deal with that one.

so up for next year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now