Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Good news at last!

(5 Posts)
Marne Sat 31-Oct-09 18:54:03

We had the ed phsyc(sp) come over last week to discus dd2's schooling next September. He advised that we put her in MS and not the local SN school. He said that he will make sure she has a 1:1 at all times (including play times and lunch time). He said if she does struggle then she can go to the nearest speech and language unit (20 miles away). He seems to think dd2's main problem is speech and understanding language. Some of the tasks he gave her to do (puzzles/card matching) were aimed at 7 year olds and dd2 completed them.

He seems to think dd2 is capable of a lot more but likes to do things in her own time and will do things when she wants to do them rather then when asked.

I am so pleased that she will be going to school with dd1, i just hope he can stick to what he said and get dd2 full time 1:1.

He said that dd2 won't need a statement as there should be no problem in getting her the help she needs at our local school, does this sound right? or should i still get a statement?

He also said the fact that the school is only taking 10 pupils a year is great as the class sizes will be almost as small as at the SN school.

I hope all works out well for dd2, i like the idea of the speech and language unit but it will be a PITA as its so far away.

moondog Sat 31-Oct-09 20:02:23

That's great news Marne but YOU NEED A STATEMENT. Otherwise, nothing is leagally binding and you are at the mercy of the whims of the Education Authority.

It's what you want,not what the Ed. Psych. decides you are allowed that matters and he knows this.

TotalChaos Sat 31-Oct-09 20:06:22

agree with Moondog. don't just take the ep word as gospel.

Marne Sat 31-Oct-09 20:11:37

Thank you, that's what i was worried about, i will get dd a statement.

Phoenix4725firestarter Mon 02-Nov-09 14:16:56

statement i lernt nit to trust anything they say as, without the statement you have no protection if they want to cut hours/services due to budget

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now