Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

tooth out by sedation - how do I prepare ds please?

(5 Posts)
magso Fri 30-Oct-09 10:47:38

One of ds teeth has a big hole with decay near the root. The dentist wants to send him miles away to have it removed by sedation. Ds is nearly 10 but has MLD and asd. Dentist put a tempory filling in for now, as ds was not able to cope with an injection of local (he did not like the taste). Ds was complaining of pain a month ago but the dentist could not see the decay till the tooth next to it fell out a few days ago. ( can you tell i feel dreadfulblush)

Can any one tell me what this involves? Ds is very smell touch and taste sensitive and reacts badly to new situations. Does it involve a needle in the arm? ( Ds will freek). It is the next baby (molar) tooth in line to fall out. I am worried and wonder if there is alternative but also need to prepare ds. It took so long to get ds settled into dental visits! I can see that doing the horrible bit elsewhere (so he is not put off visits to our dentist) might be wise! (could send dh ofcourse!!) TIA

devientenigma Fri 30-Oct-09 11:02:02

My ds a few month ago had to have 12 teeth removed via anesthetic. He is also downs, heart condition, challenging behaviour, sensory processing disorder and SLD among others.
No one could get near him to do any checks etc so he was literally pinned down by DH and a few nurses while they waft the anesthetic through a mask gradually getting closer and closer to his face.
When he came round he pulled the needle from his hands and over the following days had pulled all stitches from his gums. He was also lashing out at staff and he was still very groggy from the anesthetic.
It might be best to talk to the hospital about your concerns as they may be able to put things in place such as a visit, stories etc. HTH x

staryeyed Fri 30-Oct-09 11:19:04

we have this problem as well. Ds has to have a filling in one of his baby teeth he is 4.6 ASD. He has such limited understanding that Im sure this will traumatise him. Im trying to call the (SN) dentist to see if he can explain the procedure so that we can do whatever we can to make it easier but its closed until Monday.

theworldsgoneDMmad Fri 30-Oct-09 11:42:27

My DS is 8, has ASD and had a tooth out under general this year.

I was allowed to go into the anaesthetic room with him to hold his hand.
They gave him his with a gas mask.
He did get a bit feisty before he went under completely (think drunk and disorderly resisting arrest grin ) but apparently this is quite normal.
I then went back into the waiting room and it didn't take long at all.
All taps from his hands had been taken out before he came around so there was nothing for him to freak out about.

This and this may be useful to you

magso Sat 31-Oct-09 14:12:08

Thanks everyone.
I think sedation and GA are different but perhaps it is similar from a childs perspective. Maybe I should ring the dentist and have a word. Ds is no more likely to be cooperative if he is awake but sleepy than fully awake. I will ask if they could put a protective coating on his teeth while he is asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now