Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Spitting

(11 Posts)
5inthetomb Wed 28-Oct-09 09:16:51

DS2 (4 ASD) has started spitting, at people, at toys, on the floor, at walls, basically anywhere.No idea where he has got it from but I really want him to stop it. No idea what to do, as he doesn't understand it being naughty. Anyone had this problem an managed to stop it?

claw3 Wed 28-Oct-09 09:48:47

Ds 5.5 has what i can only describe as a sort of 'tic' where he wipes his lips with the cuff of his jumper or the neck of his jumper very roughly every few minutes. Its because he cant stand his lips being wet or moist. Do you think it could be a sensory thing with your ds?

5inthetomb Wed 28-Oct-09 11:19:00

I think it's almost certainly a sensory thing, as sometimes when he does it, he'll say "now mammy don't shout" . Just wish he would stop doing it!

Why are most of his little habits the socially unacceptable ones hmm

claw3 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:29:47

It could also be an expression of frustration, when he cant handle a situation in which he is placed. Also of power, anything like my ds, he has to be in control at all times.

Is there any pattern to when he spits ie when he feels unsure about something?

Davros Wed 28-Oct-09 12:36:42

My DS did this for a year or so, ugh! I'm certain he "learned" it from another child but hey ho, he "teaches" as many behaviours to others too! It was definitely sensory as he liked to spit into the air and see the spray in the light, the same as he does when he flicks water, sand, soil, poo, wee etc! I think the function then also became attention, so dual function. It was very tricky as you just couldn't ignore it if he did it to other people and, of course, other people weren't about to ignore it. Once he got into a long term special setting they were able to totally follow through with ignoring and he stopped. I suppose you could try developing a substitute behaviour if you can think of one that's more appropriate and ignoring as much as possible? Maybe if you can't ignore then a very bland, consistent response so your reaction is less reinforcing. Sorry this isn't much help.

5inthetomb Wed 28-Oct-09 12:40:59

Well we went to a party a few weeks ago, and he spat on a few kids blush, but then he doesn't do it at school to the same kids, so maybe he was just over excited?

Davros, he does like to spit on certain things, like a power rangers mask over the eye piece, and on the path when we are waiting for a bus. Hopefully I can think of something to replace it, but who knows what!

Davros Wed 28-Oct-09 12:48:09

I know, offering a substitute is a great idea, like so many, but making it work is hard. I let my DS nibble playdoh sometimes as I know it won't kill him, it calms him and he really enjoys it. better that than certain other things!

claw3 Wed 28-Oct-09 12:51:16

Unfamilar settings like a party, might be a defensive mechanism, my ds used to pick his nose and threaten to wipe it on anyone who came near!

Hopefully it will just be a phase that will pass eventually. In the meantime, how about giving him a bit of tissue to spit into?

Davros Thu 29-Oct-09 07:17:36

Chewing gum is an idea but it takes management in itself. Its good for their teeth.

AngryFromManchester Thu 29-Oct-09 09:35:28

my daughter does it aswell, it is a nightmare

Davros Thu 29-Oct-09 19:46:37

I say chewing gum which would keep the mouth busy, but I am sure that DS's spitting was a visual stim so a correct substitute for him would be something visual iyswim. Keeping the mouth busy can't do any harm though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now