Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD Understanding nodding or shaking head to mean yes or no

(5 Posts)
debs40 Mon 26-Oct-09 22:51:38

This is like an unwanted gift that keeps on giving.

I have only just realised (why I haven't before I don't know ) that DS1 (6 possible ASD) doesn't understand that shaking your head means no and nodding means yes.

He's ill. I was asking him if he wanted a drink as he lay on the sofa watching Star Wars on a loop (!) and he said yes while shaking his head. I laughed and he got annoyed with me.

I explained nodding/shaking your head and yes/no and he said 'Oh, I didn't know that'.

Is that normal with these things? How have I not noticed that before? sad

ouryve Mon 26-Oct-09 23:12:38

Heh! My brother used to do that!

Appropriate nodding and head shaking were DS2's first real gestures, though. He soon cottoned on when he realised how much power they have. I mean, how can you possibly make he put somme vegetables in his mouth when he's shaking his head wildly!!!!grin

waitingforgodot Tue 27-Oct-09 11:37:12

that was one of the questions in the GARS assessment if I remember correctly.
DS can shake his head fairly emphatically however we haven't quite mastered the nod yet!

Davros Tue 27-Oct-09 12:32:29

DS did understand the function at all until about 3-4 years ago (he's 14). And he was TAUGHT by asking a series of questions "do you want x?", "do you want y?" and then he would GET what he nodded for. Ditto shaking. I test him now and then to check if he is saying "yes" to everything or to the last thing he heard and it is a good, solid functional "yes" and "no"

misscutandstick Tue 27-Oct-09 13:35:04

DS5 hasnt got the hang of it yet (too young to be explained to as well).

MIL (unDx'ed ADHD) has difficulty with that too! shes 66yrs and still does the wrong one when saying yes or no! grin. DH picks on her for it, and does the opposite gesture to confuse her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now