Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Epilepsy question?

(10 Posts)
Marne Sun 25-Oct-09 10:28:54

Is it possible to develop epilepsy as a teen?

DSS passed out yesterday and was taken to hospital (where they are running tests) but they are talking about the possibility of epilepsy. He's 16 years old and has passed out before (a year ago).

sarah293 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:35:32

Message withdrawn

Marne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:12:43

Thanks Riven, i don't really know what they are doing, he was kept in over night and we are waiting for news.

Marne Sun 25-Oct-09 16:58:02

He's home now and has to have a EEG next week, it sounds like the doctors think its epilepsy but i'm starting to think it could be narcalepsy (sp), he's always been a sleepy child and falls asleep during the day. His mum said he was outside talking and just went over like a tree falling, he did this in a shop a while ago but his mum just thought it was due to heat, she's saying it has happened a couple of times since but she didn't think it was anything to worry about. I think he does suffer from low iron so that could also be a possibility.

LetThereBeRock Sun 25-Oct-09 18:43:42

It is. When my mother developed epilepsy recently we were told by Epilepsy Scotland that it's very common for teenagers to develop epilepsy and for women who are going through the menopause to develop it, which is the situation my mother is in.

They asked if that was the case before we even mentioned her circumstances and we've since spoken to many people who developed it during either circumstance.

It's often linked to rising and falling hormone levels.

LetThereBeRock Sun 25-Oct-09 18:45:13

How long did it take for him to regain consciousness?

Marne Sun 25-Oct-09 19:42:26

LetThereBeRock- I'm not sure how long he was out for but he seems to have lost his memory and can't remember the past 2 days at all. His mum said he was lucky he didn't hurt himself (he's a big lad and fell quickly).

unfitmother Sun 25-Oct-09 19:45:26

I was 21 when I developed it.

LetThereBeRock Sun 25-Oct-09 19:45:53

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Memory loss is common with epilepsy though there are other possibilities.

Please keep us updated and if you have any more questions there are plenty of knowledgeable posters here.

Marne Mon 26-Oct-09 07:41:11

Thank you, hopefully we will have some news soon, i think he's upset because he was looking forward to learning to drive sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now