Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moondog - social skills ideas

(6 Posts)
debs40 Thu 22-Oct-09 09:55:37

Moondog - I hope you don't mind but I'm looking for some suggestions/ideas

DS saw a SALT for assessment a couple of weeks ago. She confirmed there were social communication issues (he has problems with recognising moods, emotions, tones, talking to people he doesn't know etc). She said this can be worked on at school and she will put forward recommendations in her report.

I wanted to try and be proactive and wondered whether you could recommend any resources for this type of thing. Any ideas welcomed!! Thanks smile

huffyhuffystompstomprahrahrah Thu 22-Oct-09 11:01:04

Baron-Cohen created a kids programme called the transporters a couple of years ago that was aimed at working on emotion recognition - all the kids I know loved it and it is a nice fun thing to do, especially if you use it as a springboard for other activities. There were a limited number of them released but someone might have one that you could copy - I think I gave mine away but I will have a look. smile

moondog Thu 22-Oct-09 14:47:12

Carol Gray's Social Stories are excellent.

debs40 Thu 22-Oct-09 17:01:10

Thanks guys. I will look at both. It always helps to feel you are doing something positive yourself.

moondog Thu 22-Oct-09 18:11:01

Indeed. Parents lasdo have to accept that they are key forces in change. It can't be left to 'the professionals'.

moondog Thu 22-Oct-09 18:12:03

If you look at the link, Carol Grey speaking in Bournemoth on Nov. 23 which will be well worth attending (I'd love to go).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now