Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Winter thermal recommendations please

(16 Posts)
cktwo Tue 20-Oct-09 21:47:13

DD1 has low tone and is really thin with no body fat. As a result she get very cold in winter and I'm looking for some thermal leggings and vests (long sleeved) to help.

She is really little, still in 2/3 years clothes even tough she's nearly 5. Is there such a thing as thermal underwear for such little ones?

Also, I can never get gloves to fit her and stay on becuase her hands are so small and wrist are so thin. Last year I bought some v expensive sheepskin mits (designed for babies) which did the job for 5 mins until they fell off. Anyone have any ideas or have seen anything that might work this winter?

catkinq Tue 20-Oct-09 21:49:49

we got thermal tops for both our children - long sleeved ones - I think we just got them off th einternet. Re gloves - could you do the string through the arms thing but with a short string or elactic to keep them on? I've sewn them to tops before - with a gap so they can get heri hands out if they want to.

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 21:58:27

Tights under trousers, then socks,
Get a tame granny to knit tank tops - to go under the jumpers.

Boys joggers are often brushed on the inside: warmer.

We had the exact same problem, then they gave dd3 a gastrostomy and she got fatter!! grin

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 21:59:27

With the gloves, sew a button on the glove and one on the coat, then wrap an elastic band (or pretty hairband) to link the two.

magso Tue 20-Oct-09 22:25:53

We used to import warm clothing from mountaineering/ski mail order shops REI in the USA and M.E.C. in Canada for our son when he was younger - but find we can get stuff locally now. The USA sizes come quite small. Ski wear is often pricey but outlet stores may be a better bet as the lesser used tiny sizes get left! I have seen toddler sized (age 3 I think was the smallest) thermal underwear at our local outlet ski shop but chainstores may be less costly if they go small enough. MuddyPuddles (mailorder) used to do little side zip mits, and thermals - so that is worth a look too. Try Millets too they do childrens warm wear aimed at very young skiers although you may need to wait a week or two for winter stocks. I can imagine getting tiny gloves is even harder than getting large cheap mitts for bigger kids - my current obsession as ds cannot manage gloves yet!

FluffyPumpkins Tue 20-Oct-09 22:41:51

We have the same problem with dd.
she has thermal top/leggings from gap think there meant tobe pjs really but work just the same under her clothes..

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 22:51:19

I like the idea of pjs under clothes - that's very Enid Blyton on an adventure, isn't it!! smile

FluffyPumpkins Tue 20-Oct-09 22:56:45

yeah, wish they made them in adult size because the dc's look sooo comfy in them. see if i can find pic of them.

Marne Wed 21-Oct-09 12:14:19

Boden have some nice long john pj's which would fit under clothes (a bit pricey though), dd2 hates wearing gloves i tend to buy her clothes with longer sleeves so i can tuck her hands into them. Millets had thermals for children last year but i'm not sure what age they started at. Dd2 lives in tights as she won't keep socks on.

wigglybeezer Wed 21-Oct-09 12:18:05

muddy puddles has good thermals for kids (even merino wool ones) and things like glove liners and mitts, they have a web-site.

littleredcorvette Wed 21-Oct-09 14:50:52

I've just been looking on the M&S website and they do thermals - the ones I looked at start at 18 mths-2 years:
here
Hope that helps

cktwo Wed 21-Oct-09 15:33:37

That does help alot, thanks. I'll have a look at Muddypuddles later too.

Last year I managed with tights under trousers but it was so cold here (we're in t'Pennines), DD needed something warmer.

cloelia Wed 21-Oct-09 17:37:50

Have you looked at Rackety's, they are a company who make clothes for children with special needs and I think they are excellent. We have the sleeping bag type thing for wheelchair/buggy use; the poncho; and I know the all in one popper vests are good too. you can find them on the internet.

eatyourveg Sun 25-Oct-09 19:50:43

All 3 of my kids wore tights under trousers as babies as the wind could always go up the bottom of the legs. Now they have m&s thermal long sleeve vests and long johns. ds2 also wears a roll neck jumper under his school shirt on very cold days

claudialyman Sun 25-Oct-09 22:29:22

Ds wore babygro/sleepsuits under jeans and top/zipped cardi when he was that still that size. mothercare go up to 2/3. than you can get bigger ones made. the all-over cover seemed to really help keep him warm. if you are ordering one you could order to include built in mittens, maybe with the mitten part opening and buttoning back onto sleeve.

Nat1H Mon 26-Oct-09 14:55:09

Asda sell thermal underwear for little ones. Have just bought a load for my son!! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: