Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

do you go GRRRRRR when yr dc is described as being 'in their own little world'?

(11 Posts)
herjazz Tue 20-Oct-09 12:57:57

Cos I hate it

Yeah she's difficult to engage with lots of the time, loads of other stuff going on etc but she's in the same bloody world we all are. What a twee cop out of a phrase

What are yr thoughts?

Seuss Tue 20-Oct-09 13:21:16

I hate that too. Mostly when people say this it's cos they are asking ds to do something pointless/mundane - it is nothing to do with being in his own world, he is just not bloody interested! It's just so patronising.

troutpout Tue 20-Oct-09 13:34:15

Used to really annoy me
True though in our case. He wasn't interested because he had better things to do in his head

troutpout Tue 20-Oct-09 13:35:51

I think it's the 'little' that's annoying isn't it
He's in his own 'more interesting' world is more accurate

herjazz Tue 20-Oct-09 13:38:37

I've got better things to do in my head as well - preparing for my huge stadium gig, shooing off that pesky noel fielding till later, planning my next luxury holiday...;)

but back to the policies I need to sort out

herjazz Tue 20-Oct-09 13:43:11

yes that's it troutpout. 'little' does always come across as patronising

mysonben Tue 20-Oct-09 13:59:11

Yes it is a bit annoying to hear these words 'own little world'... At nursery the teacher says about DS "he is often spacey".
Not sure if it's better, but it's true.

ouryve Tue 20-Oct-09 14:41:58

Doesn't bother me at all. I often say of my own DS1 that he's away with the fairies. I think it's a nice place for him to be, sometimes, when everything else is too overwhelming.

Of course< if I point out to him that he's away with the fairies, he points out to me that there's aren't any fairies!

mysonben Tue 20-Oct-09 14:51:44

Oh and DH 's way of that is "he is off to lala land!" grin

Seuss Tue 20-Oct-09 16:40:08

It is the 'little' that's the most grating bit, I quite like 'off in a more interesting world'. It depends who says it as well, don't mind so much if it's someone who knows what he's like when he's more engaged.

Jo5677 Tue 20-Oct-09 16:53:23

It always makes me feel a bit angry tbh. My family and friends often say it about my son and i bite my tongue,it just feels like they're patronizing me and him (when we work so hard on him 'fitting in' )by saying 'bless him,he's in his own little world isn't he' just 'cos he's sat chatting away about his latest Wii game and theyre not that interested. I bite my tongue because i know they don't mean anything by it or for it to make me feel bad about him as they're people who care. I just can't help feeling a bit that way i guess ! Good to read others feel a bit that way about that expression sometimes as i'm often beating myself up thinking its only me and that im just being oversensitive. Probably i am a bit really but good to read i'm not the only one none the less lol smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now