Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dont know what to think

(8 Posts)
squiby2004 Sat 17-Oct-09 13:34:05

I have concerns over DD. She turned 5 in August and has just gone into year 1. She has always been very good physically so I have no concerns over her gross motor skills. She has walked and climbed and ran and cycled well from an early age. Although I wouldn't say she was a late talker her vocab now is fantastic and is always commented upon by her teachers ect..

She was late in getting the hang of reading mainly because she point blank refused to sit and do any with me or her teachers but she is getting there now. She is now fluent in her phonic alphabet and has a good library of site words with good efforts in sounding out those she does not know. Most of the developments have been since September as H and I were not impressed with her school last year and have moved her into a all girls private school, she is in a class of 10 as opposed to 30 now.

She is not a naughty child but she is very willful e.g she never does what she is asked 1st go always required at least 2 if not 3 or 4 requests for compliance from her.

She makes friends easily and plays well, is creative and imaginative, enjoys dress up ect.. She holds eye contact some of the time but not if she does not like what you are saying.

So why am I worried I here you ask? Well feedback from her school is that she gets a lot of 1 to 1 from the TA's in class as she has a very short concentration span and her handwriting is not getting any better despite daily practice. They mentioned dyspraxia but having googled it I am not sure that she fits the profile myself. She does fidget but in my experience so do most 5 year olds! And she has only just turned 5 as well, infact she is the youngest in her class.

Those of you with dsypraxic/dyslexic/ADHD children, when did you begin to realise something was up? I cant stop thinking that there is something wrong with my gorgeous little girl and its making me very sad

ki28 Sat 17-Oct-09 14:14:58

Hi,Im not gonna say dnt worry cause its what we all do. Heres my story and take on your worries.

My 4 and half ds,started the schools pre school in the morning last year,to me a normal,active,strongwilled and shy boy.

After being at the school only one term. We we alerted by the teacher to him showing the same traits as your daughter. most the same apart from he didnt want to play with others. He liked his own games and had his own friends out of school. they mentioned all the above as they did with your daughter but also asd.
So as you can guess the worrys majorly set in.

now nearly at the end of the journey through apppointments after appiontments after appointments. Seeing so many people with diff views on my ds. Still other appointments and assesments to come.

they all so far have come to the same conclusion as what we his parents always belived.

He is bloody fine!! and only still nearly 5years old!

she is still only very young herself.

It takes me telling my partner who is 32 at least 4 times to do what i asked him,so I wouldnt worry at this.

Fidgeting i dont belive ever stops untill their lazy teenagers! I still fidget and bet you do too.

Too me,i found that the schools are afriad of missing thing with our kids now that they can jump on the tinyest problem,so they dont miss it.
But if there is a problem the sonner you get the right advice and put it into practice,the easier(i found)it was to understand.

And also once i admitted that my ds could be a little sod,that i spoilt him,lazy and unwilling when things wernt what he wanted or his way and needed me to be a lot firmer and yes! he can be naughty,things are getting easier to understand.

Reading your post your dd,sounds like bright,imagantive little girl and that is what you want.

Not sure how this helps at all but thought a read through it will help.

MojoLost Sat 17-Oct-09 18:03:06

so to summarise:
no motor skill problems
knows her phonic alphabet
fantastic vocabulary
can read
makes friends easily
creative
enjoys dressing up
holds eye contact

She has a short attention span
is willful
her handwriting is not great

Why on earth would you be sad? Sounds like your DD is a winner. I am slightly envious. [sorry having a very bad day with my own child who doesn't do any of the above and is almost 5)

My understanding is that dyspraxic children have difficulty with placing themselves in space, so I think they probably do have problems with gross motor skills (Im not an expert)

I think maybe if you post under the education section, other parents with children similar to your DD might be able to tell you how things went for them?

If you really are concerned, then the best thing to do is get a professional assessment. Even if there is no problem, you will feel better.

Sorry if I am sounding a little negative, some days I just wish I didn't have to deal with this.

lou031205 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:10:07

I must admit, DD will be 4 in two months, and apart from eye contact, can do none of the things on that list.

TotalChaos Sat 17-Oct-09 18:28:14

my gut feeling - give her more time to settle in to her new school - none of what you describe rings huge alarm bells - bear in mind that transition from reception (play based learning) to year 1 can be tough. and never be afraid to ask school what they recommend to help with any problems - both what you and they can do to help with concentration/handwriting. Do you have any concerns about her concentration?

claudialyman Sat 17-Oct-09 18:42:42

Perhaps,as mojo said, the education/ child development section would be better so you are talking to parents with children who have followed a normal developmental trajectory as your daughter obviously has. I'm not dismissing your concerns, just saying there will be parents there who have similar concerns about similarly able children. Best of luck

MrsMagnolia Sat 17-Oct-09 18:47:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squiby2004 Sun 18-Oct-09 11:51:27

Thanks all for your comments. Personally my husband and I are finding it hard to think that the comment from school has much truth to it as we don't see it as problem behaviour as such just a small chi;d being a small child. Its just it starts alarm bells ringing when the professionals you have entrusted your child to bring this sort of thing up.

Will post under education as suggested and see what comes up.

Thanks, and I hope I have not been insensitive by asking about this here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now