Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD experts - suggestions

(9 Posts)
debs40 Fri 16-Oct-09 22:08:11

I am going to talk to my GP next week about an out of area assessment for DS. This area has not even got a properly funded system - it is ad hoc and chaotic and they seem far from on top of their game.

I am after an NHS referral out of the area not a private assessment. I have done this before over a birth issue. It is possible but you do have to fight for it.

I wanted to identify an expert to aim for. Any suggestions?

meerkatsandkookaburras Sat 17-Oct-09 06:19:03

Dont know where you are in the country but we have a fab paed near here called dr farrell - nottinghamshire who is good and well respected, he seems very up on asd's and never heard anyone say anything bad about him, if youre vaguely this way let em know and ill be more specific as to where he is based etc

debs40 Sat 17-Oct-09 09:10:16

Thanks but we're miles away in Wilthsire!

debs40 Mon 19-Oct-09 14:55:15

Bumping this in case anyone has any suggestions

Marne Mon 19-Oct-09 20:38:24

Hi debs40, we are in West Dorset and have found our local NHS hospital (childrens center) has been great, i have had both my dd's diagnosed at the same hospital, one took a little longer than the other.

debs40 Mon 19-Oct-09 22:23:31

Thanks, Marne can I ask the name of your hospital?

Marne Tue 20-Oct-09 09:24:07

Its Dorset county hospital in Dorchester, dd2's pead is Doctor Summers, it took us ayear to det a dx for dd2 which i think was really good as dd2 was only 2 when we started the process.

Davros Tue 20-Oct-09 09:36:05

The most respected ASD "guru" I have ever come across (in 14 years!) is Dr Gillian Baird, based at Guy's Newcomen Centre. She also does private work. BUT may be hard to get her any time soon. Otherwise have heard of Dr Paul Gringras, think he is St Thomas's. Our own local Paed, Dr Andrew Lloyd Evans has always been great, now at Northwick Park (formerly Royal Free) and also private. HTH

debs40 Tue 20-Oct-09 09:52:14

Thanks guys. I am going to talk through options with my GP as I'm hoping to try and argue to go out of area (funded by the NHS) as there is no proper process here for assessment and no one seems to have any particular expertise.

I have done this once before on another matter so it can be done and I think it's worth a go

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: