Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

too tired for all these bloody appointments

(20 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 16-Oct-09 10:38:21

Message withdrawn

magso Fri 16-Oct-09 10:49:56

I can sympathise its a busy appointment time for us too (why do they all come together but in different towns)! And it always takes the whole day what with all the other extras that go with the appointment especially the late morning appointments!
I wish more could be done at school too!

sarah293 Fri 16-Oct-09 10:53:04

Message withdrawn

chinchi Fri 16-Oct-09 11:01:37

Its all such a farse Riven. They seem to forget that there are other things that need to be done too. We have had a rush of appointments these past two weeks, and it's always me that deals with them and with two kids who cant walk as DH cant take time off work.

You have my biggest sympathies.

sarah293 Fri 16-Oct-09 11:10:44

Message withdrawn

Mitchell81 Fri 16-Oct-09 11:33:37

Can't one of your PA come earlier and come with you?

anonandlikeit Fri 16-Oct-09 11:39:57

IKWYM Riven, it does go with the teritory though, if you have a child in Mainstream school - there just simply would not be enough hours to get the various clinicians to go to all the m/s schools & hold clinics at the sn schools.
ds2 did have physio, orthotics, ot etc all at the sn school when we used their pre school outreach services.
Now he is fully m/s we have to accept we have to get him to the appoints & our hospital is 50mile round trip!

Can you put it off for a few days until you are feeling a bit better.

Jo5677 Fri 16-Oct-09 11:45:11

Hi Riven,i can really empathize,i get sick to death of appointments sometimes too,well a lot of times really. I also get pig sick of my dh having to use his holidays from work just of in random days to be used for appointments. I don't drive (failed test to many times to remember blush. I am not entitled to hospital transport either because the transport is for the child and carer only and they won't let me take my toddler with us in the hospital transport(she's not at nursery yet).
My daughters quad cp and i had a meeting with the phsyio about this and now quite often with splints etc one of the team will pick them up and drop them at our house for me. I'm very lucky they agreed to do this. Don't feel guilty,everyones circumstances are different and some are much harder than others and i think sometimes the teams involved with our children need to acknowledge this.
Read your thread re hospice too,take care xxx

meltedmarsbars Fri 16-Oct-09 12:21:07

Plan a nice drink and dvd for after, something to look forward to, then grit those teeth and face it: we don't really have a lot of choice, those on the "outside" have absolutely NO IDEA about life with an sn child. My ds's teacher looked totally shocked when I casually mentioned I'd had to sedate dd2 the previous evening so ds might be a bit tired due to the late-night disturbances in our house.

sarah293 Fri 16-Oct-09 13:54:22

Message withdrawn

Wispabarsareback Fri 16-Oct-09 14:16:10

I really sympathise, Riven, and I'm sure you're doing the right thing. I feel all 'appointmented out' myself at the moment, and have begun to question whether they are all necessary and which ones might be dropped - so far this conversation is just an internal one with myself, but I'm thinking that the OT is a prime candidate for de-prioritising (if that's a word!).

Jo5677 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:58:03

Wispabarsareback, i de-prioritized my childrens O.T (i have 2 with disabilities) as after 11 years i felt it was time to thin the appointments down a bit. People have their own views on what i've done but i gave it careful consideration and so far no regrets and the O.T has more time to give to a family who feels they really need the service.

magso Fri 16-Oct-09 18:59:37

Can the appointment wait till you have recovered a little more? You need to look after yourself and get well. Hope you are feeling better soon.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Oct-09 20:59:44

Message withdrawn

claudialyman Fri 16-Oct-09 21:22:43

Any chance the physio/someone could measure for piedros and then if you come on here chances are you can get a pair someones grown out of (also lots on ebay) It would buy you a bit of time.

If the splints are new and need easing is it that someone messed up when she was measured for them? Has happened to us before repeatedly. If so you have some clout to request they come out to yours or the school OR that they fit you in at the next clinic near to your house or your daughters school (eg if they are having one in a specail school nearby)

i know that doesnt really adress the issue nut anything that makes the whole thing a bit easier...

sarah293 Sat 17-Oct-09 08:31:04

Message withdrawn

daisy5678 Sat 17-Oct-09 09:44:32

I understand the feeling. I guess though that their caseloads would be even worse if they had to spend tme travelling to even some children. 1 hour a day in the car travelling to a child is one or two fewer children that can be seen in a day.

feelingbetter Sat 17-Oct-09 13:48:48

The splints can be eased without DD. Can a physio collect them?
Which company makes them? If they are local ask if you can go directly there and skip the orthotist altogether.
What Piedros you after?

feelingbetter Sat 17-Oct-09 13:52:17

Does the school have a budget allocation for orthotics? Physio?
Given the number of children they cater for, perhaps they could think about allocating funding in the future if you prod them with sharp stuff.

chinchi Sun 18-Oct-09 15:59:46

Youre right feelingbetter. Thinking back to DS's last pair of splints, they are widened without a need for him being there.

Hope you are feeling better Riven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now