Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

advice needed on what to say to doctor

(5 Posts)
Wolfcub Thu 15-Oct-09 21:09:18

Ds's nursery key worker suggested this morning that I get him referred for assessment and suggested I do this through the doctor. WE have previously had discussions about his behavior. There was no suggestion of a specific "diagnostic" reason as to why a referral should be requested but we did have a discussion about ds's ability to concentrate for an hour on one task at some points but at most others to not listen, not be able to concentrate and go haring off like a loon. There was also a suggestion that his behaviour and concentration are not in line with his "intelligence" and that this was perhaps hampering his progression.
Now this is in no way news to me but I have always assumed that this is 2-3 yr old behaviour (not having any experience of other 2-3 year olds) and that ds is just stubborn, willful, pigheaded, selectively deaf etc etc.
He does however have some issues with violent behaviour and has hurt people quite badly - but he is not the only child of his age I know that behaves like this.
As background he was 6 weeks prem, was expected not to survive past a few hours after birth and docs expected him to be severely brain damaged if he did survivd. A brain ultrasound done about 10 days after birth show that his brain is structurally fine but we were warned at about 8 weeks old that other effects (if there were/are any) would not become apparent until he got older and started developing. So there are lingering issues and emotions for me with this that perhaps make me more concerned about key workers comments than I would otherwise be.
So I have made an appt with the doctor to talk about the referral - what do I say?
If you've stuck with this this far, thank you.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Oct-09 21:17:15

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Oct-09 21:21:52

Message withdrawn

Wolfcub Thu 15-Oct-09 21:37:44

It depends which doc he is booked in with - receptionist was being a total officious cow and didn't want to give us an appointment so I never asked which doc the appt was with. If its my doc she's great. If it's dp's doc then gatekeeper is certainly an apt description. Unlikely to see key worker before appointment unfortunately due to her working hours.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Oct-09 21:55:04

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now