Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Recommendations on an ABA provider PLEASE

(14 Posts)
izzie123 Thu 15-Oct-09 16:12:05

Hi, I am looking to set up an ABA programme for my son. He is 4 years old and has SLD as well as autism. I am looking for a provider at the moment and got a list from PEACH but not sure where to start. I would be very grateful for some feedback on your providers. Recommendations as well as the ones to avoid. What did you think of the case managers through PEACH? We are based in the South East.

Thanks a lot

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 15-Oct-09 18:30:24

are you near/in London?

izzie123 Thu 15-Oct-09 18:57:15

Half way between london and portsmouth

silverfrog Thu 15-Oct-09 19:30:42

I use Sean Rhodes from the abc clinic

i think he's great - very good at thinking outside the box (dd1 presents him with some unusual problems at times) and also very keen on keeping us running as a family, rather than concentrating solely on dd1's programme.

I didn't go through Peach, so cannot help you on that.

I am in Surrey, and am happy to answer any questions about running a programme

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Oct-09 20:55:47

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Fri 16-Oct-09 10:33:02

Message withdrawn

izzie123 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:35:23

Thanks a lot for the feedback. smallwhitecat I have emailed you.

nappyaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 16:36:35

How much are ABA tutors?

smallwhitecat Fri 16-Oct-09 17:03:09

Message withdrawn

nappyaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 17:18:41

Once they have a statement can you get funding for it or is the idea that you pay for it out of DLA or something?

smallwhitecat Fri 16-Oct-09 17:24:22

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Oct-09 17:50:37

Message withdrawn

mum2fredandpudding Sat 17-Oct-09 16:55:30

hi izzie - we've been with duncan fennemore for the pasts months and i would not hesitate recommending him.

starlight - went through the same thing ourselves - do we need a supervisor on top of a lead tutor etc. etc? decided to go with the full team to begin and see how it went and exactly what we were getting ourselves into first etc. Im sur eyou could manage fine without, but I have found our supivosor to be of huge benefit. SHe is the one to essentially runs nad implements the program (DF oveseas and give direction every couple of months) and keeps things really dynamic (eg. she decided to intro new areas because DS was progressing better than expected in some areas). the lead tutor helps me maintain hte data and keep things moving fast in between team meetings. TBH I dont think she has hte knowledge of VB to be able to plan direction like our supervisor, so if you do decide to go without a supervisor, i would make sure that the lead tutor is able to do tat.

i hope that made sense - cant check as kids to run after!

mum2fredandpudding Sat 17-Oct-09 17:04:43

3 months.

izzie - to make things more complex (is that possible??) i think it is important to decide what sort of ABA program you want to run (lovaas-style and VB tend to be the most common) before you pick a provider. DUncan F nad Sean R are ABA/VB whereas UKYAP and Peach (i htink) do Lovaas. Whilst all a good thing there are some signifcant differences in their approaches. A search of mumsnet archives should find you lots of debate on the different types of ABA.

it all sounds intimidating and complex, but I assure you it is not and that you are doing hte right thig. WIthout doubt the advances my DS has made in hte past 3 months have been more than he made in the entire year previous. I am so proud of him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now