Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Did anyone see "Autistic Me"?

(8 Posts)
crace Thu 15-Oct-09 14:06:15

I had Sky+ it and just watched this last night when I felt strong enough to. Just wondered if anyone else saw it and what their thoughts were? My 13yo is ASD but not high functioning, so related to 15 yo Thomas more than the others, though we don't see signs of violence yet, more just the moody teenager type stuff grin which we are coping with at the moment.

I suppose my worst fears were portrayed, or did I miss something? I am desperately worried about the future, and I want my son to be in love and have a job but I worry as he is social awkward as the others were in that programme. Doesn't help my dreams of him ever being independent

Any thoughts?

troutpout Thu 15-Oct-09 14:41:10

Yes
..think there was a thread on it when it was first aired.
here if you are interested.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 15-Oct-09 14:53:52

I have it recorded for when I get a cahcne to sit down.

brokenspacebar Thu 15-Oct-09 15:18:35

I watched it crace, it made me cry. I think it made me hopeful, and worried if that makes sense.

logi Thu 15-Oct-09 15:50:45

I have seen it the first time i watched it i cried,i guess it makes you worry about the future as they all seemed dependant on their mums.

Jo5677 Thu 15-Oct-09 17:02:00

I crace, after watching it i realised that there must be so many Mums and Dads coping with similar on a daily basis.
I sometimes find it easy to forget i'm not the only one with a son with asd because no one else in his year at school is on the spectrum. I think as my son gets older (he's almost 8) i will find it good to be in contact with other Mums who have children of a similar age and with asd as it will be good to exchange experiences and coping strategies and for my son to meet other people on the spectrum.
My Dad actually watched this programme and said besides knowing my son/his grandson that it was his first insight into aspergers and asd. He felt he'd really learnt something and had a much better awarness and understanding. So although these programmes can often be a bit upsetting i would like to see a few more make it on to terrestrail tv, Jo x

Jo5677 Thu 15-Oct-09 17:02:52

Ooops,meant to say Hi,not I blush lol

crace Thu 15-Oct-09 18:09:51

Ack, wrote a long post and my computer froze. I don't know how I feel about it all, my heart broke for Thomas who wanted to be a rockstar so he would be "popular".

I guess what I was afraid of/worried about is probably what is going to happen.. and I am afraid of what if something happens to me. Blech

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now