Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how to stop DS tickling his classmate

(5 Posts)
iwearflairs Wed 14-Oct-09 21:56:11

and another thing...

DS (5.6) has been asked, told, given social stories, given a visual reminder, etc etc but he will not stop tickling a little boy in his class and who really doesn't like it and looks very cross/sad when it happens.

DS says 'I always tickle X (identity protected)' so it has become a rule in his mind.

The problem is that other kids don't mind when he tickles and some have started tickling him, so it is out of the bag now.

How can I get him to stop? He doesn't seem to connect that if he does it then X will not want to play with him/like him. I think DS actually likes this boy and wants to play with him but it has gotten out of control.

Anybody been able to stop this inappropriate stuff with a child who doesn't want to stop?

busybeingmum Wed 14-Oct-09 22:10:34

Message withdrawn

iwearflairs Wed 14-Oct-09 22:21:16

love the idea of a social interaction group though DS's mainstream school i may have to work on the idea for a while. He has a kind hands social story and doesn't like it if I remind him but I agree he needs more information about how to make friends appropriately. I will ask about the other boy not reacting and maybe the other children as well! I think a replacement activity might be a good idea but I can't think what!

jasdox Wed 14-Oct-09 23:21:42

my ds has a hugging/grabbing thing going on. it was on if IEP to make him aware of it, and try and make him do it gently, as becoming a problem as he was doing this to the class especially the ones he liked. it got to the point where he could not stop doing it, but would stop/be gentle when a comment was made. Then we came up with a hug ball, this worked a treat, so he started to grab the ball when he felt the need. Now it had got the point that he is not doing it at pre-school and he comments on it - so clearly aware. The flip side is he is doing it significantly more at home to me, but i'd rather that.

He has a book he likes to read now and again - how to be a friend by Krasny Brown and Marc Brown, and i think its sort of making connection with him.

cinnamontoast Thu 15-Oct-09 14:24:17

My Asperger's DS is 13 now but we had real problems at primary school with him being tactile with the other children. The school presented it to me as a big problem - and certainly it meant that a lot of children really didn't want to be friends with him - but now he's older I look back and wish we'd been a bit less judgmental about it (not saying you are, but we certainly were!). He has sensory processing issues and still likes to touch certain fabrics and hates others, and I wonder if giving him a cuddly toy or something to stroke would have helped. Perhaps you could get your DS to transfer the tickling to a toy - buy him one specially?
The good news is that they do grow out of it - my DS wouldn't dream of tickling/stroking/touching anyone now adolescence has kicked in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now