Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Our new special needs content - can you let us know your thoughts please?

(42 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Oct-09 13:48:52

Hi all,
We've done some new content wrt to special needs here. Before we put the navigation up/ publicise it more widely we'd be really grateful if you'd take a look and let us know if we've missed anything crucial/ made any mistakes.
(nb we have another bit of content about parenting older children with special needs on the way very shortly, we haven't left them out. If there's anything else you think we should be covering do let us know.)

Thanks in advance,
MNHQ

wasuup3000 Wed 14-Oct-09 14:01:31

It Looks good-I was just wondering if you could do an area listing what type of Special needs there are and a related website or charity that could help a concerned parent?

wasuup3000 Wed 14-Oct-09 14:07:38

Also just looking through can you make it clearer that a parent can apply for a statutory assement and maybe say a little abour School Action and SChool Action Plus?

wasuup3000 Wed 14-Oct-09 14:11:46

I see you have a few weblinks now grin

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 14-Oct-09 15:27:44

looks good,
but small personal gripe.
it has a link to tests......
what about conditions that can't be tested for.
also is testing really relevant to SN, surely that has it's own topic.

donkeyderby Wed 14-Oct-09 15:47:17

Agree with 2shoes re tests. Not really appropriate here and a bit offensive. Would be better in pregnancy section surely

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 14-Oct-09 16:06:15

Looks good, thanks!

cyberseraphim Wed 14-Oct-09 16:47:18

The link to ante natal testing may offend some/many - I certainly don't like it. If it remains, it needs to be made clear that testing will reveal very little about your 'chances' of having a child with additional needs- I hate 'Special' too but realise we are stuck with it for now. Links to non invasive genetic counselling could be helpful though.

cyberseraphim Wed 14-Oct-09 16:54:34

The first three links to the right of the photo are all about antenatal testing. I don't think this makes it a very welcoming place for those with SN children. They are valid topics for discussion obviously but doesn't it give the wrong message to highlight them in this way?

cyberseraphim Wed 14-Oct-09 16:55:08

Four actually !

TotalChaos Wed 14-Oct-09 16:58:19

agree with cyber about the ante-natal testing section. The majority of posters on SN board have children who could not have been diagnosed with their SN in utero, so it's not representative.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 14-Oct-09 19:12:04

bump

Scottie22 Wed 14-Oct-09 19:33:39

Definitely agree about having support with shock of discovering your child has sn/additional needs after birth. This is an area which seems to be dreadfully lacking esp in hospitals so links to support would be really good here...

BobbingForPeachys Wed 14-Oct-09 20:40:44

I would skip the testing also- bit of a stick to beat people with (shouldn't you ahve tested fior them and got rid') as well as the other concerns (oh yes I hear them all hmm)

I'd add advocate to the list of eprsonnel, asoften they are involved with a family, also whilst for the life of me I can't see the point, I am told SENCO is now considerd old fashioned (FGS) and now should be ADNO 9additional needs coordinator.As if that changes anything!.

A basic glassary of SN would be good. Oh and maybe an explanation iof how MN differentiates between SEN and Sn becuse that does come up- it's a good differemntiation IMO but the LEA's use SEN to cover both so it can cause confusion.

Support is important; as well as the disability- specifc groups there are ones such as HomeStart who can make a difference. Some mentioon of these would be good.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Oct-09 20:48:26

Thanks so much for the feedback so far <takes furious notes>

Thought you might like to know that there is stuff about reaction to initial diagnosis here

PerryPlatypus Wed 14-Oct-09 21:10:39

Could there possibly be a section which deals with some of the more common questions asked on the SN board?

There's lots of good information on there but someone new to the whole thing might find it a little overwhelming.

I'm thinking of questions like:

"School thinks my child might have some form of SN. What happens now?"

or

"I think my child has SN but his teacher doesn't agree. What now?"

Maybe something about the equipment that is (or isn't available) for families of children with SN?

Could there be a space for MNers to put reviews of equipment, courses, books etc?

PerryPlatypus Wed 14-Oct-09 21:11:58

Ooops! Apologies for all the questions. It reads like an interrogation. blush

5inthetomb Wed 14-Oct-09 21:43:31

LOoks great, but agree about the pregnancy testing stuff. Not necessary and upsets people.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 14-Oct-09 21:59:55

brillianty that grieving is mentioned, so many people(I was one) just don't realise they are doing that,
and the bit about grandparents

herjazz Wed 14-Oct-09 23:00:15

link to the webguide from the support group page - people might expect the info to be there

sorry not got loads of time to go through it - just glanced really but is there something about various bits of equipment - trikes are asked about loads here for example. Maybe then a page with list of charitable funding options / organisations to contact for stuff

agree with all the comments re testing stuff and big pregnant belly being first thing you see in section. And I guess I'm someone the info is aimed at - being a carrier of chromo disorder. Still wouldn't be what I expected or wanted to see when going to look for info about sn child. I think if yr angling this info for people who get a diagnosis in pg best to stick it there and link to this section. My dc was diagnosed within first few weeks and god I hated the sight of pg bellies - was somewhat bitter, twisted and jealous

I think more pictures and more personal stories would be nice. Not neccessarily case studies that identify families but personal accounts of spefic situations - eg diagnosis, denial, filling in dla form for first time, being in hospital, feeling isolated in mainstream groups etc etc - fairly generic, generalised stuff but presented in more personal way. Would happily contribute

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 14-Oct-09 23:07:29

stick a pic of Justin fletcher on there, he is the sn god

herjazz Wed 14-Oct-09 23:18:11

a justin gallery for 2shoes then

ooh I've just read that thread down there. I take back what I said - just stick a link to the ONLY forum for parent's carer's etc with disabled kids. They've got it all covered ;)

PerryPlatypus Wed 14-Oct-09 23:26:52

Another vote here for a picture of Justin instead. And if you could nab him for a webchat it would make a great link for the new SN pages.... wink

feelingbetter Thu 15-Oct-09 06:30:47

Another vote for moving/removing the testing bit from the top of the page.

Most/many of us have children with SN which are not testable (if that's a word).
There was no antenatal 'choice' for me.

Also, it does read a bit like 'have a look at the tests, see what you can get rid of and then if your still stuck with it, I suppose we'll point you to the most valuable resource we have' (the SN board obv wink)

If its SN - it should be about living with SN, not so much focussing on the bit before - pregnancy (there's a pregnancy board for that!)

Perhaps the links could be shifted further down? If a Mum with a worrying AN test result were to look on that page, I think it'd be nice to see the 'what life is like' bit promoted and the 'tests/choices' moved further down. I think it does need to be there, just not top of the list.

Overall I think its good, the best bits are the direct quotes from the posters tho (no offence smile)

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 15-Oct-09 07:09:40

Another vote here to remove the pregnant lady photo along with the references to testing ante natally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now