Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

getting nowhere with rainbows so have had to complain to HQ

(11 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 13-Oct-09 19:06:43

Message withdrawn

RubysReturn Tue 13-Oct-09 20:55:56

Oh no! Is there another troop locally. tbh, ours are very welcoming, but a bit daft. Put it this way, whenever they leave the building on an outing, i go with them.

Does your dd need anything very special in the way of care? Maybe they are scared?

Still rude not to come back to you

Davros Tue 13-Oct-09 22:42:48

I am surprised by how disorganised my DD's (NT) group is. They are very willing and obviously enjoy the whole Girlguides thing, but they are pretty hopeless about passing on info, responding to my infrequent phone calls etc. I hope its nothing more than that but keep at it if you can. Do you have a Scout group locally? Girls can join Scouts/Beevers at 6 yrs.

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 07:30:09

Message withdrawn

AvrilH Wed 14-Oct-09 09:44:05

I suppose that another way of looking at it is that these groups are run by volunteers - who won't necessarily have any experience or training in coping with SN, and are giving up their time to help out.They may not be able to see a way of including your DD in the various games and activities. They might be struggling to figure out how to accomodate her - toilet facilities, on any trips etc. Hence delay in returning calls.

Though I'm not surprised you are pissed off, I would be too. Is it important to your DD to be around DC her own age? If not maybe she would enjoy more grown-up activities or groups where she can be fully included - even if they are very advanced for her age!

meltedmarsbars Wed 14-Oct-09 10:23:03

Riven, tell me how you organised this? Sounds like something I could get dd2 into. How did you get the assistant? How did you approach the troup? Any advice?

cory Wed 14-Oct-09 12:28:09

Good on you, Riven, for taking this further! It's the sort of thing that they can't just be allowed to get away with.

MatNanPlus Wed 14-Oct-09 14:05:28

But AvrilH Riven's DD is going with a personal helper, just for her who will include DD to her ability so the leaders don't need to do anything different!

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 15:37:20

Message withdrawn

RubysReturn Wed 14-Oct-09 18:05:10

I'm really shocked - the fact she will have a personal helper should mean that any concerns they have about make sure she is safe and well and comfortable should be dispelled.

Did the Scouts give any reason for saying no?

Rainbows is really meant to be inclusive and this is contrary to everything they stand for!

(Our leader has some disabilities so I am sure it varies depending on local personnel)

Do you have the energy to battle it out with them?

Davros Wed 14-Oct-09 18:21:46

Its a disgrace, you should take it further but quite understand if you don't fancy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now