Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Looks like they don't want me on their school trip now....

(12 Posts)
debs40 Tue 13-Oct-09 16:01:32

Have had to battle DS' teachers over the last few weeks to even get a meeting with SENCO. Have eventually done that, in spite of rather than with their help. SENCO agreed that we need a meeting in view of all external agencies involved etc.

I've obviously peed the teachers right off. A note went home tonight asking for help with a school trip on Monday. DS came out with it and wanted me to volunteer so I did.

Teacher says 'we'll let you know' as she doesn't know how much room there is on the coach. hmm Either they need helpers or they don't?

Have heard this before in a previous school - don't let the 'problem' mum come on the school trip. DS was all excited and now I've said we'll have to wait and see what they say.

Sorry maybe I'm being oversensitive

ICANDOTHAT Tue 13-Oct-09 16:22:07

That's shite. They have no excuse as you volunteered straight away. I would front them on it if you're not asked ... just let them know you are aware why you weren't asked, but that's just me - I always put my head above the firing line

janess404 Tue 13-Oct-09 18:08:08

I would say something but im sure some off the teachers on here will be on soon enough to tell you how hard their jobs are, sorry just my feeling about some of the people on here.

You should not have to fight to have a meeting with a SENCO.

I would not take it personally they prob come back and offer you the place

Could always take your own car if room on the coach is an issue ;)

daisy5678 Tue 13-Oct-09 19:41:34

janess404 - please lose the attitude. I am a teacher but I am a mum too and have just as much of a right to be here as you. Sarky comments don't help anyone, and I've not said anything before, just thought your 'fuck the school' and slagging off of teachers was uncalled for and unhelpful. Be an adult and let it go - why bring it up again when it's not fucking relevant?

daisy5678 Tue 13-Oct-09 19:54:25

Debs blush - sorry

I know what you mean - but if they think you're a problem mum they probably also think you're a don't mess with me parent...which can only be good to get ds the help he needs.

If they come back with a 'no, we don't need you' I would ask them why the sudden change - again, just to show that you won't be messed with.

You have to decide, in the end, that you care less about their opinion of you than what they are doing for ds. Work with them, but if they're being silly (like with this), it is a good idea to call them on it. I doubt you're being oversensitive, but, fwiw, I think that they should be grateful to have a concerned parent who is trying to work with them to support your child!

debs40 Tue 13-Oct-09 21:31:30

Thanks guys. I've had this sort of thing happen to me before (at DS's last school) so I am probably a little over touchy but it did prove to be the case that they side-stepped mums who they thought 'difficult'. I'll see what they say!

WedgiesMum Tue 13-Oct-09 21:39:46

Just so you don't worry too much - often schools ask for help and then take names of parents willing, see how many staff are going then see how many more adults they need, and if more have volunteered than there are spaces they draw names out of a hat. That has happened at ALL the schools I have worked at/my kids have been at/others I know. And yes I am a pushy SN mum and have been on trips with DS. Obviously depends on school but prob teacher doesn't know how many volunteers she will get so can't say yet. Hope I've helped! smile

hocuspontas Tue 13-Oct-09 21:42:03

She may have thought you only wanted to come along to support your DS whereas they really need people to chaperone a group. Is that possible?

debs40 Tue 13-Oct-09 22:26:37

Wedgies - thanks. I will try and keep an open mind. It has been a stressful week!

Hocus - possible too smile

Hope you're right and I'm overreacting, I just hate always feeling like the parent from hell!

daisy5678 Tue 13-Oct-09 22:30:29

You're not a mum from hell - you're one from heaven, in my eyes, who cares for and supports her child. Honestly, I could weep for some of my pupils whose parents don't give a monkey's. Your son is lucky smile

lotspot Tue 13-Oct-09 23:01:25

I'd wait and see if I were you

DH once went on the school trip with the infants (when DD in yr 1, and DS n yr 2) and got given a group of all the trouble makey boys from year 2 + DS (and i don't mean that as in my son's an angel because he's my child - these lads made his life hell for 4 years, another boy left the school cause of the bullying from them, they were singled out in a secondary school OFSTED report as the most badly behaved/disrespectful children ever seen in a school setting!!!!), in speculation we recon it was because he's a 6ft4 bloke and the teachers thought the boys wouldn't dare mess him around haha - Hubby had a delight day!! wink

lotspot Tue 13-Oct-09 23:03:29

oh sorry - got caught up in my anecdotale moment and forgot to add - unacceptable that they're making it as difficult as poos for you to see SENCO - fight for it all you can if your DS needs it - no one else is going to fight on his behalf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now