Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Talking to playgroup

(8 Posts)
fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 12-Oct-09 08:45:07

Wish me luck - going to have to ask play leader today about ed psych coming to assess DD for support when she goes on to nursery (January, can't wait).

They are NOT very approachable or understanding to say the least there and I still don't know exactly what DD's issues are, and am still at the stage of getting very upset when I discuss them so not looking forward to this.

Have got horrible cold/sinus infection thing too, but it has to be done today.

Am probably worrying about nothing as she'd have to be positively evil to say anything nasty about DD needing support at nursery.

Need to develop this fabled thick skin I fear. sad

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 12-Oct-09 08:45:40

(missed a comma there, I don't fear the thick skin, would be great!!)

Barmymummy Mon 12-Oct-09 09:40:31

Oh good luck Fanjo, thinking of you. Come and tell us how it goes smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 12-Oct-09 12:13:39

Well, she acted like it was no big deal to her. Which is good, but then made me a little sad as it is a HUGE deal to me.

Then the other worker was going on again about how she just keeps repeating things to DD as "she knows but just can't be bothered obeying" which got me down somewhat.


Barmymummy Mon 12-Oct-09 13:23:17

Forgive me because you have probably said lots of times before but what issues does your little girl have?

Is your play leader saying there's nothing wrong?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 12-Oct-09 13:29:54

Well, we are not sure yet what is happening, initially she seemed to have a language delay and possible ASD traits. (she is 3 next week).

She has gross motor delay and hypotonia.

Her speech was actually quite good but it suddenly deteriorated worryingly about 2 months ago (it is slowly improving) so she has just had an EEG to see if she has Landau Kleffner Syndrome (epileptic aphasia). Still waiting for results.

We have been told by community paediatrician that she has ASD though, so perhaps she has just moved further up the spectrum, although she is quite old for an autistic regression.

The staff are just aware she has delays and communication difficulties, but persist in thinking she is just being disobedient and !choosing to ignore them", when she clearly doesn't understand, she only really babbles and sounds quite slurred, so I would have thought a little patience with her would have been in order.

AS long as they are kind to her (which they are) I can't be bothered fighting with them, since she will be leaving in 8 weeks to go to nursery where she will hopefully have 1:1 care and be properly understood.

Barmymummy Mon 12-Oct-09 14:19:40

Right I am with you. As you say there seems little point in stirring up a hornets nest for the sake of 8 weeks.

Sounds like she is best off out of there in the long run if they aren't going to acknowledge her difficulties.

Is her new nursery lovely? Are you excited about sending her there? Makes all the difference when you have faith in where they are going smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 12-Oct-09 14:29:53

well i haven't quite decided on which nursery yet. Have visited one I like, but am being pushed strongly towards another one by the professionals so going to visit that one on Thursday, then will make a decision.
Either way it will be a lot better than where she is now!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: