Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

reading seems like a waste of time to me

(23 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 08-Oct-09 11:50:04

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Thu 08-Oct-09 12:12:17

WHy does she HAVE to use talking books? She may well enjoy reading.

Also, I may be wrong wouldn't she need to learn to read to use better communication aids in the future?

sarah293 Thu 08-Oct-09 12:17:54

Message withdrawn

2shoes Thu 08-Oct-09 12:48:09

but everyone needs to learn to read, how else can you understand stuff. how can she take a gcse if she can't read?(confused emotion)

Niecie Thu 08-Oct-09 12:57:16

OK she might not need to read a book but she could for example, read signs when she gets older, as the letters would be big enough.

And how are you supposed to learn to spell if you don't learn letters. Presumably she will use a keyboard at some point to communicate? Not argumentative, just interested in how you would spell if you couldn't 'read'.

What do you want her to do instead of reading? They have to teach her something at school.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 12:58:00

Well I think if she's in ms it will be a significant part of theday forall

Indeed it is for ds3 in his snu

and rightly so; they may oneday have glassesor similar that enable youdd tosee- I am certain that would be far simopler than cures for most disabilities, as it seems she couldread if big enough. And reading is so important; have just been really laid into as thich and undeserving of my degree elsewhere on Mn, which is all to do with how I prsent myself throught typing with bad eyesight, and simple things like shopping take forever because ofreading the labels on food.

I think it is syuch an important key skill in a world dominated by NT's, esp. as I presume shedoesn't have enough movement for braille?

2shoes Thu 08-Oct-09 13:00:33

dd is learning to read(long process) she won't be able to read a book alone as she can't hold one, or turn pages, but she will need to read.
(peachy where?)

Niecie Thu 08-Oct-09 13:00:57

Blimey peachy who laid into you? It wasn't the Tory thread was it? I could see that might have taken a name calling turn for the worse at any moment but even so, that isn't on!!shock

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 13:02:10

How did you guess? LOL

Niecie Thu 08-Oct-09 13:05:56

sad And it was doing so well at being reasonable and balanced. Shame it had to degenerate.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 13:07:11

Only opmne eprson Niecie, it did K realy and the other ones on similar topics aredoing really well. That's a big plus.

One person does not a disaster make.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 13:07:30

2shoes TTR

2shoes Thu 08-Oct-09 13:12:57

it is broken so have emailed you

magso Thu 08-Oct-09 13:16:18

(Peachy I cannot spell or type well either. I did not stop me getting a PhD -I just had to work harder!)
Riven there are computerised divices for blowing text up word by word or letter by letter for people with low vision. Also text readers that talk but spell out words they do not recognise. I realise there will be challenges in using these for dd2. And thats just today - there may be cleverer things in the future.

sarah293 Thu 08-Oct-09 13:20:57

Message withdrawn

Niecie Thu 08-Oct-09 13:27:50

Fair enough - no need to spell but what do you want her to do at school all day?

If they are happy to try and teach her and she doesn't hate it then surely, whatever she learns is a good thing.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 13:29:07

It's possible though that some kind of head switch for typing may come about?

so that instead of scrlling through limited options she can just flick through thealphabet to spell

so surely the skills of sounding out words are essential longer term?

amtooyoungforthis Thu 08-Oct-09 13:36:30

It sounds like you have written her off

Reading isn't about just reading words in a book, it's about so much more. Understanding language is one

Technology is advancing, there is already many things out there for the visually impaired, who knows what is to come

She sounds as bright as a button and everyone should be helping her advance on any skills she does have and is capable of

She may never read a book but she could have access to much more in life as a reader, even in 4 inch letters

2shoes Thu 08-Oct-09 13:39:32

imo you need to be able to read to understand the world.
to access clicker(or is it cricker) you need to be able to read.
IMO teaching kids with cp to read is a good thing and one I would never sneer at,

Niecie Thu 08-Oct-09 13:50:18

Riven are you alright? I don't know you, obviously but it seems unlike you to be so down beat about something your DD can do even if she won't be able to learn to read a book.

Surely anything that challenges her cognitive processes and keeps her brain working has to be a good thing?

Pixel Thu 08-Oct-09 15:43:05

There was a lady at slimming club who was almost totally blind. She worked in a shop and could operate the till because she had a device with a screen which magnified whatever came up on the till. By holding it up close she could see what it said. I'm sure there will be such things for reading when your dd is bigger, if there aren't already. I'm frequently amazed at the rate technology develops nowadays so who know what the future holds?

UniS Thu 08-Oct-09 21:43:44

dh has VI colleges who use HUGE* font on screen some of teh time, Reader soft ware isn't the right choice for all applications and isn't usefull for the kind of coding & proofreading stuff they are doing. Ok for e-mail tho.

* dh reckons 2 inch and nose to large screen.

catkinq Thu 08-Oct-09 21:54:59

I work as an amenuensis for people who are registered blind but doing university degrees. They use equipment that does magnify things to this size - please do let her learn to read - it just adds more options to her life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now