Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Someone jsut hit my bloody car :-(

(15 Posts)
ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 12:28:18

Only had it 2 months. Was parked up near the school, and the gap between cars on either side of the road was small. car squeezing through them hit mine. Front passenger wing and bumper all scraped and I'm shaking.

She wants to sort it out privately, btu I dont think I can with it being a motability vehicle?

I'm really worried she is going to try to deny liability when I speak to her later. She wouldn't accept it first, tried to make out I moved, btu I didn't mvoe until she hit me then I tried to reverse off of her car.

Aaargh!

glittery Wed 07-Oct-09 12:32:17

you cant sort it out privately as the car technically belongs to motability not you.

I'd phone motability and tell them straight away, its best if you tell them your version of events and they will be used to people like her trying to deny resposibility but if you wait it might look like you have something to hide IYKWIM

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 12:37:39

I don't actually have her details yet though. sad
She said she didn't ahve anything on her. I know who she is.

glittery Wed 07-Oct-09 12:40:12

do you have her car reg number, make and model etc?
phone motability and tell them what you know anyway just to keep yourself right.
could it be possible its not her car/she isnt insured?

Marne Wed 07-Oct-09 12:46:15

Did anyone else see what happened?

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 12:50:17

Nobody else saw it, unfortunately.

She is the mother of my dt2's best friend at school, and she also has a ds in the same year as my ds. She was in a rush to get her youngest from nursery, so said she would meet me up the school later.

Her car is onyl a year old, and she said she has 4 years no claims, so I doubt she is uninsured.

I jsut wish I hadn't tried to move my car at all now, I tried to back off of her car, and she was trying to say I'd rolled fw. I then told her, I have an electronic parking brake, it can't roll fw unless I take that off, and it was still on when I turned the engine off so I didnt actually MOVE anywhere. sad

I jsut tried calling RSA, btu they want me to call back later when I have her details as otherwise I will have to pay an excess.

glittery Wed 07-Oct-09 12:59:00

oh well you did the right thing phoning them anyway, if you do have to pay the excess its £75 but hopefully she will provide all the details later and they can charge it to her insurance company.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 13:10:00

yeah, thanks.

Keep everything crossed for me that she doesn't decide not to deny it later!

Sidge Wed 07-Oct-09 13:10:54

Don't panic.

We have a Motability car and someone hit me from behind on a roundabout last year. The bloke wanted to sort it out privately and was a bit cheesed off when I explained I couldn't. Also bear in mind that you will get a replacement vehicle whilst yours is in the body shop if it's done through RSA which wouldn't happen if you sort it out privately.

You need to get her name and vehicle registration - don't worry if you can't get any other details off her as it's all on 'the system' now so the insurance company can find her details.

Once you have passed all the info on to RSA they will sort EVERYTHING out - I didn't have to do anything. They brought the replacement vehicle to my house, collected mine and returned it a week later then collected the hire car, so I wasn't without a vehicle at all. I didn't have to pay a penny for anything.

If I were you I wouldn't enter into any more conversations with the woman about liability, details etc. Let RSA sort all that out. Make a note of what happened for your own memory and records and give RSA all the details and they can deal with it all.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 13:21:45

thanks sidge. Have already made a note of exactly what happened. Good point about the hire car, hadn't thought of that.

Do you know if the hire car will be insured for us both to drive it?

We're thinking dp can have the hire car and I can have his hopefully, as I dont see how ds wheelchair wud fit in a fiesta or corsa!

meltedmarsbars Wed 07-Oct-09 13:38:17

You must tell the person handling your claim that you need a big replacement vehicule - last time this happened to us the biggest they could provide was a vauxhall mpv thing - and we have a WAV, so it means we couldn't take dd2 out at all.

And tell them who needs to drive it - if you are both on the Motability thing it should be ok, but you may need to produce driving licenses for the hire company.

Sidge Wed 07-Oct-09 13:56:33

As melted has said, do make sure they plan to provide a like-for-like vehicle. They probably won't be able to provide a WAV or an adapted one, but it should be similar spec and size. I double checked when I was on the phone to the replacement vehicle company just to make 100% sure - I made it quite clear it was no use me going from a large MPV to a Ford Ka!

They usually ask who needs to be insured and put all drivers listed on your Motability insurance on the hire car insurance.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 13:56:36

oh, ok! On the site it says that they only provide a fiesta/corsa, so I will try to push for bigger.

Really, we do need an MPV, as there are 6 of us, and we had planned a day trip next sat. sad

anonandlikeit Wed 07-Oct-09 14:16:24

the standard replacement is Corsa or similar.
We ahd similar prob with ds2's w'chair.
RSA will ask you to enquire with the garage to see if they can provide you with a larger vvehicle, if they are not able to help motability/RSA have a careline who will provide a larger vehicle. RSA claim paople will be able to give you the phone number.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 16:23:13

got the details and called them and they were great!

No excess to pay and they will deliver a like for like courtesy car to our door and take mine.

Thanks for all the help! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now