Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP - when do you get one please?

(8 Posts)
catkinq Tue 06-Oct-09 21:07:17

When does a child "qualify" for an IEP? dd has been assessed as having specific needs by the ed psyc and we are seeing her for the second time Thurs to talk about how these needs can be met etc.Should she end up with an IEP or something in writing? (WE have a few issues with the school not reallytaking what the ed psyc says that seriously so would like somethign official.

Hassled Tue 06-Oct-09 21:11:45

Yes, in this situation I would assume an IEP would be the next thing to happen. Talk to the school SENCo and see what she/he says. It can be invaluable, and can be a fairly useless piece of paper, but if nothing else it acts as a paper trail to prove that X,Y and Z strategies were put in place, these targets were set and achieved/not achieved, so that if at a later date you want to go down the Statementing route, you have some sort of "evidence" to back up your claim that your DD's needs aren't being met as things stand.

daisy5678 Tue 06-Oct-09 21:16:30

Yes, a child involved with the ed. psych. should be on the School Action Plus stage of the SEN register and, as such, should have an IEP. Having said that, J is Statemented and still hasn't had an IEP for the last 2 years - you've reminded me that I need to get my arse into gear and chase that up!

Goblinchild Tue 06-Oct-09 21:23:52

We write them in October, February and June for current children, but a child can be given their first one at any time.
Ed Psych= SA+ because they are calling in an outside expert.
Harrass the school until they comply!

ChopsTheDuck Wed 07-Oct-09 07:39:35

Ds got his straight away from being assessed by the ed psych. His gets reviewed as and when they feel it needs it too.

I thought if they were statemented they wouldn't need an IEP as well, so I've learned something new! I've been told to apply for statementing but putting it off atm.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Oct-09 07:42:35

chops

Don't keep putting the statement application off, it can take six months for such things to be granted even if it is straight forward (which they often are not as content, particularly parts 2 and 3 can be disagreed
with).

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Oct-09 07:45:19

catkinq

Would have thought that EP is thinking of statementing if this person has been called in by school. They are there to assess her educational needs. You should certainly meet the EP after the formal assessment.

Your DD should have an IEP anyway; this is usually drawn up by the school termly with you present (well it should be in theory but some schools do not comply).

If EP does not mention the word "statement" ensure that you do so and watch her reaction to this.

Goblinchild Wed 07-Oct-09 07:46:51

Statement is more general and is a legal obligation on the school.
IEP hammers out the details as to how provision looks on a daily/weekly basis in school. exactly how needs are to be met with what resources, have success criteria and should be reviewed at least three times a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now