Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and HW

(4 Posts)
catkinq Tue 06-Oct-09 20:25:40

we are having real problems with this - dd (nine) just seems to have loads and is completley uninterested in doing most of it (but will spend hours on the stuff that fits with her particular interests). Does anyone else have problems? Life seems hard enough as it is without having this constant HW battle. She cannot do any of it (excpet the stuff she is really interested in) without 1-1 help (can't even understand the questions) adn it all seems pointless. We keep thinking that we never had HW this young and we did alright (and I'm a teacher!)

troutpout Tue 06-Oct-09 20:46:07

oh if i could go back and tell myself to stop the blardy hell that was primary homework every night then i would.
I totally get where you are coming from.
Once he got his dx it just suddenly occurred to me that this was not only totally pointless but also grossly unfair. I just then decided to write on his work that he had spent the required minutes on it and signed the work.
Fwiw..secondary school has been a lot easier so far (he's just started year 8)

brokenspacebar Tue 06-Oct-09 21:32:46

I agree, though atm, ds is 5 (just started P1 in August), only gets quite a small amount of hw - reading an ORT book (most nights) and sounds, letter writing twice a week.

I have noticed it is different with each teacher, my dd is 8, and is getting less hw this year, than she did from P1-4.

RaggedRobin Tue 06-Oct-09 21:34:22

yes, i think you should contact the teacher and agree on an appropriate amount and type of homework, and let them know that anything else is counter-productive and detrimental to dd's learning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now