Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

i fail to see where the "inclusion"; bit is...

(8 Posts)
misscutandstick Tue 06-Oct-09 18:11:22

I was told to come to nursery an hour early to "be with DS5" whilst everyone else did assembly - they've been practicing a 'play'. I duly did as i was told and they brought him out to me first ( i was sat in the audience) and then they filed everyone onto the stage. They all did their bit. DS5 ran round the hall at 90mph, stripped off his clothes and rolled on the floor in front of the stage, then climbed the stage and ran round the kids (actually he did that bit several times). Everytime it went a bit quiet, DS5 started shouting because he likes to hear the echo. THe audience was composed of around 20 mums who all know DS5 and didnt seem to mind too much. but i really feel thats not the point.

the last time their class had an assembly i was called to take him home before it even started.

Evidence #2

The class has 'music', and the first couple of times they had the lesson i was called to take him home before it started. This occasion i was asked to come and "accompany" him. As usual he did 90MPH around the room, emptied all her bags of instruments, pulled off the bubble machine, did his best to stop the CD player the whole time and threw everyones shoes around the room.

He is NOT statemented as portage claims that he doesnt need it.

Surely if i keep being asked to take him home, or stay in school with him, and he is not actually taking part in much - they are: A) not including him in anything and B) not able to cope with him?

They are doing a 'graduated' approach to having him full time in nursery, but for whose benefit? where do i stand legally? the school and teachers are lovely, but they simply dont seem to have enough hands.

For the purposes of a statement, Is this good evidence for not being able to "meet his needs"?

cornsilk Tue 06-Oct-09 18:26:35

What would they do if you worked full time?

TotalChaos Tue 06-Oct-09 18:33:38

would have thought it's the clearest evidence possible that they are not meeting his needs. Are you very much attached to this nursery - IME appearing "lovely" isn't necessarily enough - niceness is all well and good, but you want professionals who have some nous in dealing with the local system, rather than encouraging this unsatisfactory arrangement.

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 06-Oct-09 18:34:28

Yes you should go for a statement - the school do not have to be particularly involved, you just write to the head of SEN at the LEA and say "I am requesting a statutory assessment of my child for special educational needs under the 1996 Education Act". It's the only way you'll get any meaningful help and portage are certainly not qualified to diagnose (and indeed,as they are in the pay of the LEA, seem to me to have a covert mission to persuade parents NOT to go for statements, just as they did with me!). He will then get properly assessed, but bear in mind that to get a statement you have to make him sound bad at this stage, whereas of course as mums our natural inclination is to look on the positive side. I would not go on like this, he is clearly going to need support and you can't continue to be his LSA!

tclanger Tue 06-Oct-09 19:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misscutandstick Tue 06-Oct-09 20:40:05

well, the thing is DS5 absolutely loves nursery!!! Thats why i dont get the "adjusting in" time??? I have told them this.

Portage fed me a line of tripe for a year telling me that she would sort out his statementing. SHE DID - she completely noused it up for us, saying how well he was and that he wouldnt need it. I know that it was her because that was the ONLY report that the LEA requested/saw.

DS5 does get SOME funding (i know he does from other reports) BUT im not entirely sure where they are spending that money - there doesnt seem to be anyone extra there, or for any extra time...

daisy5678 Tue 06-Oct-09 22:01:44

On this evidence, you should get a Statement (depending on how generous delegated funding is in your area, of course) because of course they're unable to meet his needs at the moment. sad poor you.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Oct-09 07:33:30

Stuff portage, they have no right whatsoever to make such pronouncements. His additional needs are clearly not being met here, would certainly apply for a Statement.

Would agree with sickofsocalledexperts; it is the only way he will get any meaningful help. If his needs are not met in nursery then they will not be met at school either.

Devolved funding is a route that many LEA;s have gone down; it is very bad news indeed for children who do need statements. They've (the LEAs in question) basically said to the schools, "its your problem, you sort it out".

IPSEA have a section on devolved funding on their website - it is well worth reading.

The meagre funding your DS gets is likely spent on other things like school radiators to name but one example. This money as well is not ring fenced for him specifically and therefore it gets siphoned off. That's why you can see no evidence of extra time or resources allocated to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now