Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The F****** LEA PART THREE

(30 Posts)
JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 15:51:18

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT. I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE DEPUTY HEAD OF THE SCHOOL AND THE PLACE IS NOT IN THE AUTISTIC UNIT BUT IN THE MAIN EARLY YEARS CLASS.
[ANGRY] [SAD] [ANGRY] [ANGRY]

THE ENTIRE SEN DEPARTMENT AT THE LEA APPEAR TO BE IN MEETINGS. I HAVE TOLD THEIR SECRETARY I WILL BE AT THEIR OFFICE TOMORROW MORNING.

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 15:51:39

motherinferior Thu 09-Jun-05 15:55:39

There is nothing I can say. Do they understand the degree of your daughter's disability FFS???

coppertop Thu 09-Jun-05 15:56:03

WTF???

maddiemo Thu 09-Jun-05 16:02:22

I am angry for you. It seems a case of slot the child wherever they can and hope parents don't complain.

Good luck at the office.

MeerkatsUnite Thu 09-Jun-05 16:08:47

WTF indeed.

I would call IPSEA and discuss all that has happened with them. They may be able to come up with a definative course of action you can follow.

Am so sorry to read its like this. Not the only case like this I've previously read about either.

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 16:49:39

Yes, am going to phone IPSEA this evening, they are available 7-9. I am going to the LEA with DD tomorrow morning. I've downloaded the appeal papers. I am just so angry I can barely type.

Fio2 Thu 09-Jun-05 16:58:48

I am so sad JakB

Saker Thu 09-Jun-05 18:00:43

I have been following this thread. It is absolutely disgraceful - I'm lost for words .

Socci Thu 09-Jun-05 18:26:39

Message withdrawn

MABS Thu 09-Jun-05 18:29:08

lost for words here too my love. It's totally unacceptable. xx

Jimjams Thu 09-Jun-05 18:43:04

JakB- is it with the same staff, and if she started in the early years could she be moved across to the autistic unit. Just wondering as my sons school has a unit at a mainstream school (not for autistic kids just for ones who can access m/s a very small bit- staffed by special school staff etc). It's just that movement between the unit and the special school is pretty fluid, and their classes are pretty fluid as well. Ds1 for example is staying in nursery/reception/year1 in September even though he's year 2 age. The HT said they tend to mix and match a lot.

Hope you get somewhere tomorrow..

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 19:26:15

Jimjams, it is a special school for SLD/PMLD with an autistic unit. Yes, there is a possibility DD could move over to the unit eventually but I'm just so worried about what will happen in the meantime if I take the place. If I take the place, DD will not be entitled to one-on-one and I honestly don't think she will cope without it (or at least, she will not be able to learn and develop without it). One mum who is on the board of parent governers and has been through similar wranglings about her son's placement (he is now in the unit) suggests I say I am willing to do a shared placement- 2 days at the main bit of the school with a therapist to support her and 3 days ABA until a unit place becomes available. Another mum- offered another school entirely with no provision for autistic children and her son is severely autistic- wants us to get together and fight the LEA. We are definitely going to have to go to tribunal. I am just speechless at the whole situation. I feel so let down and at the end of the day, DD has been so let down
ps Sorry not to give any support on other threads at the mo

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 19:31:39

ps Jimjams, no, it is not the same staff and there are major differences between the unit and the main early years class. The teaching is differentiated in the unit to each child with one-on-one teaching and the use of TEACCH as well as ABA principals etc etc. As far as I know, in the main school it is five children to one teacher with group work. It's a great class- but not if you're autistic.

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 20:43:33

Spoken to IPSEA who say I should stay calm (!), not go in face-to-face (will upset me more than them), APPEAL (definitely) and push for one-on-one in the main part of the school until a unit place is available. The person I spoke to was absolutely fantastic.

YogiYahooey Thu 09-Jun-05 20:45:33

Sorry to hear that the f**** LEA thread continues - here's to you sorting them out!!! YY

pixel Thu 09-Jun-05 21:06:05

That sounds a bit more hopeful. At least your dd would be getting a chance to settle in at the school and she would HAVE to be first in line when an asd place became available wouldn't she?

Jimjams Thu 09-Jun-05 21:58:33

5 children to 1 is very low- would they definitely stick to that if they had lots of autistic kids? For comparison my son's class has a max of 7 at any one time (often less) with between 3 and 5 staff (or 7 if they go out I think). Because there is a lot of flexibility in staff numbers (biggish school of 100 kids) then if a child requires 1:1 they can have it. So for example because my son is one of the neediest in the class (because he's a runner ) he often has a 1:1- he's not expected to do anything individually without a 1:1 iyswim ( he might do PE, or circle time- but acutally whenever I've been in he's always had 1:1 then as well). HIs next target s to do class jobs with a chaperone (rather than someone right with him).

If the set up was simila to thatr I would say it can work if well organised. Having said that - it sounds as if the set up is similar to the other SLD school we visited-classes of children sitting round tables working in groups with 1 teacher and I thought hmmmm no chance!

What's the head of the school like- could the affected parents request a meeting? Are there any friendly professionals on side?

Fio2 Fri 10-Jun-05 07:15:30

5 to 1 is ridiculous. My dd's school has mainly 1:1 or at most 2:1. The first special school she went to however was very understaffed, something that used to concern me. playtimes were like a free for all

Davrois Fri 10-Jun-05 15:00:05

Haven't caught up on the latest here, will read later. SOunds like a right cock up though

RnB Fri 10-Jun-05 21:19:01

Message withdrawn

JakB Mon 13-Jun-05 18:53:53

Spoke to my man at the LEA on Friday who 'admitted' he has got it wrong and DD does not have a unit place! Am going in to see the school next Wednesday. I am taking the LEA to tribunal. We are going to try and negotiate a part-time placement combining ABA with school. I am just speechless and so stressed. I just wish the LEA had been honest with me

RnB Mon 13-Jun-05 19:10:53

Message withdrawn

JakB Mon 13-Jun-05 19:23:20

I think he's just completely incompetent, rather than deliberately duplicitous. Just stress I don't need. Life is stressful enough!

RnB Tue 14-Jun-05 15:54:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: